Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone especially leszek,

Here's a dialog between myself and Rick Arabian about trying to use DVHS Tool to archive decrypted VOB's to DVHS, but at STD speed as opposed to HS. Still can't get it to work. Rick suggested I post it here.

---------------------------------------------

Rick,

I could not get any of the DVHS utilities which came with my HiDTV Pro to send out any video and thought something was wrong. DVHS Tool

worked perfectly.

Now a question:

Would it be hard to do the same from a decrypted .VOB file? I would like to be able to take a decrypted .VOB file and transfer it via firewire to the HDTV recorder (in STD mode, of course) so that I don't have to lose anything via a crude analog transfer (I can't believe I'm saying that, I work in professional video!)

-Thanks!

-John Wheeler
[email protected]

=====

John,

Thanks for the contribution. VOB's are MPEG program streams. DVHSTool is designed to work with transport streams. There is a program command line program available on AVSforum called mpeg2ts that will convert program streams to transport streams. I don't have extensive experience with it but it should allow you to archive DVD's to D-VHS tape.

Hope this helps,

--Rick

=====

Hey thanks! I tried mpeg2ts and the video part works. However there is no audio. I'll play around and see what I can figure out. Also DVHSTool seems to insist that this be saved in HS Mode, when that's a little silly for a non-HD program, right?

Thanks again,

-John
[email protected]

=====

Okay, I got the audio to work by making sure that DVD Decrypter was only processing one audio stream. Now, is there any way to have the archive take place at less than HS? (Either STD or L3?)

-John

=====

Yes, but there is a setting for removing null packets. If you turn that setting on, it wil run in STD mode.

--Rick

=====

No... here's what I've tried:

First, I tried decrypting just the video and the 6-channel audio, then used MPEG2TS to convert it to a .ts. Got audio and video through D-VHS Tool but at HS mode only.

Trying your "remove NULL packets" only made the video flicker occasionally; still ran in HS mode.

Then I tried epid. Seems that whatever is on pid 0x1fef is taking up a lot of space. Erasing it nearly halved the .ts file size. Still had playable audio and

video, though.

Running that through D-VHS Tool produced video (reliably) but audio only sometimes. Really. I re-started it once or twice and the audio then worked. Then it didn't. Then it did again.

Again the "remove NULL packets" only makes the video occasionally flicker.

Nothing I've tried tries anything less than HS Speed.

I'm still happy. I'm way ahead of where I was 24 hours ago when nothing was working!!!

Thanks,

-John

=====

John,

You may want to work with leszek on this. He created the "remove NULL packets" option. I'm sure he'd be very interested in your finding.

Please post a message on the forum and I'm sure he'll respond.

--Rick

==========

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
John,

In the TSP2SP registry key change the "DeltaChangeThreshold" value to 8000. This should stop the flickering you have on null packet removal. In addition you might want to try PID filtering to get rid of all but the A/V/Tables pids. Do you know your PMT/Audio/Video/PCR pids?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It already was set to 8000.

When I check the "remove null packets" option, just flickery audio and video still try to get archived at HS speed.. Without the check, clean audio and video get archived at HS speed.

As far as PIDs:

I'm using MPEG2TS to generate the TS file from the VOB. It seems to create the following:

0x0000 PAT

0x0010 (Unknown - "Other Stream")

0x1FEF (Unknown - "Other Stream") (This one can be all set to null using epid and the file is still viewable. This seems to be pretty large.

0x0011 Video

0x0014 AC-3 audio

What determines whether the recorder tries HS or STD mode? Is it entirely done by seeing what the incoming data rate is? How would I filter out the 0x1FEF packets? Using epid, I can set them to null, but they're still there, and the "ignore null packets" just doesn't seem to work.

-John

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Double check with the AVS forum member "brzez" about MPEG2TS generated streams. I believe his program (MPEG2TS) generates a video header that states the stream to be 19.4mbps. This probably forces the deck into HS even if the actual rate is lower.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.