AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a set of speakers according to a Joe D'Apolitto design that I found on the Audax web site, using all Audax drivers. I bought all the components for a 5.1 system years ago, but only recently got around to building them. I also decided to add rear surrounds. Imagine my dismay when I found out that the TM025F1 is no longer available.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a substitute? I already built the crossovers, so I'm looking for something that is more or less a direct replacement. The design uses an Audax AP170Z0 6.5" woofer crossed over at 2650 Hz.

Even better, if anyone has a secret stash of these tweeters, I'd love to get two of them.

Thanks for your help.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,358 Posts
I think I have one that needs replacing so +1 that order.

Did you check with Madisound?

Also in the back on my mind when I was thinking about/building my Audax 7 channels there were some Audax threads and I remember someone dropped in an upgraded tweeter with good results.

If you/we did that for the 3 fronts then we could recycle those tweeters for whatever.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked Madisound, Parts Express, Zalytron, Speaker City - no luck. From another post on this forum, I think these were either completely discontinued by Audax or are not not available in the USA.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have a new one still in the box, and some used ones from my old Adire Kit281's if you are interested....

edit: I have one new one and one used...the used one was fixed by me - I pulled the speaker terminal off during testing and had to re-solder it. Works and sounds fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two-rocks,

Thanks for the reply, but I already bought substitutes. I searched on Parts Express and found one that has very similar Fs, Z, power handling, and SPL ratings, and is a horn-loaded soft dome to boot. (Goldwood GT-520 for anyone else that's interested.) Since I'm using them for rear surround speakers, I'm not likely to notice any minor differences between them and the Audaxs in my other five speakers.

Thanks again.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,358 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts