AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again!

I'm just curious --

Of the three digital projecotr technologies, which tend to produce the least or most amount of noise associated with standard operation? Which models/techs have you experienced and can compare in this regard?

Thank you!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
First, CRT's are not digital projectors - they are analog. Second, unless the CRT PJ has a fan (my old one didn't - a floor standing model), it is the quietest.

As for true digital PJs: LCD, LCoS, and DLP -- in general DLPs have the loudest fans (they also have the highest powered lamps). LCoS (Sony and JVC) are somewhat quieter (that includes the variants from Marantz and others). The LCDs are the quietest, but they vary quite a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer, and from very quiet, in the low lamp mode, to almost as loud as DLPs when in their high lamp mode.

In addition, most newer LCD PJs have automatic irises which can emit some noise (also varies by brand). Some LCoS and DLP models also have auto-irises. DLPs have rotating color wheels which can also be noisy (or get noisy after a lot of use).

I've owned a CRT (mentioned above), 3 LCDs and 1 DLP PJ. The CRT had no fan and was silent. Two of the LCDs were the quietest. My latest DLP and LCD PJs have about the same noise level (and they are not really objectionable, but noticeable if I listen for it and with no audio output). They are all quieter than any AC unit or room fan (or my desktop PC). The quietest ones are at about the same level as normal household background noise levels (20dB for a very quiet room).

A lot depends on how far you sit from the PJ, since the perceived noise level drops off with distance. It drops in half (3dB) for every doubling of the distance between you and the PJ. In my case, I sit about 18" from my PJ location, so the fan noise can be very noticeable to me. If my head were 3' from my loudest 2 PJs, it would be as quiet as the quietest LCD that I've owned (at 18" from my head).

Also, PJ fans usually run at a steady speed, so the fan noise gets tuned out by your brain - it becomes a part of the normal room background noise level.

As for specific models, I suggest you read the reviews at www.projectorreviews.com for the models you are considering. Art usually includes comments about fan noise in the "General Performance" section of his reviews.

Disclaimer:

These are all general comments and the actual noise levels vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and from model to model. Exceptions exist for any two projectors, of any type or price. How loud a projector is also depends on your room and how sensitive you are to background noise (as well as how loud your audio is).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi! Thanks for your thorough reply!

I'm sorry that I mistook CRT projectors for "Digital projectors" -- I thought that the word "digital" was, in this context, being used to differentiate these projectors from film projectors. Thanks for clearing that up! I'm still trying to decide whether to go for a CRT or LCD/DLP projector. Sounds like you're saying that CRTs CAN be the quietest, with LCD and DLP following in that order from quietest to loudest, but of course, as you say, there will be exceptions, and at a certain distance it is no longer an issue.

I would probably be viewing from a distance (to the projector) very similar to you, so, based upon your post, CRT sounds the most attractive to me at this point, which I guess means that I have to find another section of the forum to further post to if I want to ask about that more.

Thanks again, awesome post!
Bye!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts