AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These soundcards supports dvd audio, supposedly the only 1 on the market that does...anyone use one for that purpose, and how do you like the sound?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Although I didn't buy it for DVD Audio I picked up a Audigy2 nx when I moved my room around. I separated my PC from my receiver by about 20' and wanted 5.1 for games I play on the projector. I didn't want to run six audio cables 20' so I got the Audigy.

I run it via a 30' USB2 cable to my Pioneer receiver. I play through a set of Athena Micra's

Once set up I decided to test DVD Audio so went down and bought and old favorite (being an old guy) Hotel California. I was amazed. I then balanced the speakers via the Audigy with a rat shack sound level meter as the receiver just passes through the 5.1.

It really sounds good. The album also has a dolby digital track and I compared the two. No comparison. As a result I have been buying music again for the first time in a long time.

The one problem with the audigy is it does not play the higher sampled stereo track only the 5.1 DVD-A track, but that sounds good to me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobshute
Although I didn't buy it for DVD Audio I picked up a Audigy2 nx when I moved my room around. I separated my PC from my receiver by about 20' and wanted 5.1 for games I play on the projector. I didn't want to run six audio cables 20' so I got the Audigy.

I run it via a 30' USB2 cable to my Pioneer receiver. I play through a set of Athena Micra's

Once set up I decided to test DVD Audio so went down and bought and old favorite (being an old guy) Hotel California. I was amazed. I then balanced the speakers via the Audigy with a rat shack sound level meter as the receiver just passes through the 5.1.

It really sounds good. The album also has a dolby digital track and I compared the two. No comparison. As a result I have been buying music again for the first time in a long time.

The one problem with the audigy is it does not play the higher sampled stereo track only the 5.1 DVD-A track, but that sounds good to me.

Great that you like the sound....you mentioned it doesn't play the sampled stereo track , only the 5.1 DVD-A track...is that a limitation of the card? .... stand alone DVD players that do DVD Audio seem like they all have to use the analog outs ....do you mean your by using the USB output to your receiver , your possibly not able to playback the higher sample rate stereo track?.....I guess I have to ask also, is there a benefit to listening to DVD-Audio CD's with just a pair of headphones or single pair of stereo speakers, as I don't have a 5.1 setup just yet...

·
Registered
97 Posts
The Audigy2 NX is a external USB "sound card". It connects to the PC via USB and to the receiver via 6 analog cables, DVD-A is analog only output. You need a receiver the will accept 5.1 analog inputs.

DVD-A supports both 24-bit/96kHz in 5.1 surround and 24-bit/192kHz in stereo but the NX doesn't support the 24-bit/192kHz stereo. I believe that the PCI based Audigy cards do.

The sound is so far superior to Dolby Digital or CD quality I would think that DVD-A stereo would be worth the investment. In 5.1 you close your eyes and you are there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.