AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to get Audigy 2 SPDIF output to work at all.

Running Win XP, using the analog 5 channel output to a receiver works fine, but when I try to use the SPDIF output to a receiver, essentially does not work.

I've fiddled endlessly with soundcard settings (sampling rate, "Digital Output Only" enabled) etc. to no avail. Best I've gotten is a faint, scratchy output that is useless.

I don't even need AC-3 output- this SPDIF feed goes to a receiver that drives analog speakers in other rooms of house, so standard stereo output is fine.

Have also tried various cables:

1) standard 3.5 mm minijack on sound card end, RCA connections on receiver end

2) optical cable with 3.5 mm minijack on sound card end, Toslnk connection on receiver end

Have not tried going to coax input on receiver end, but I could not see how this would make a difference.

Standard CD source, MP3 file, does not make a difference, neither works.

Two receivers, neither works: Yamaha HTR-5560 and Denon AVR-683

Very much stumped on this one, as internal diagnostics (Creative diagnostic software) say all is fine.

Some people seem to have similar problems- any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
697 Posts
hello

you may want to enter OSD menu for receiver to select you input type.optical \\coax or analog.

you may want to set input to optical .

i have HK 310 in order to get the optical to work i have to set it to optical.

i also have SB 5.1 platinum.

my HTPC connected to video 3 on receiver so i enter the OSD and set video 3 for example to optical.

i hope this help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a summary of some information from Creative and posts on the internet:

Try connecting it like this:

CONNECT THE DIGITAL OUT TO A RECEIVER

1. Get an 1/8th inch stereojack to RCA cable. (you can get this at any Radio Shack type store)

2. Plug the stereojack into the digital out on the sound card.

3. Plug the RCA connector to the SPIDIF/AC3 coaxial (digital) input on your receiver.

SET THE AUDIGY2 TO USE DIGITAL OUTPUT

1. Go to Start > Programs > Creative > SB Audigy > MediaSource Go.

2. Click on Product Settings. Click

3. Speaker Settings

4. Make sure there is a check next to “Use Digital Output Onlyâ€

MAKE SURE THE SB AUDIGY2 CARD IS NOT DECODING AC3

1. Go to Start > Programs > Creative > SB Audigy > Media Source Go.

2. Click on Product Settings

3. Click on Device Controls

4. Click the “AC3 Decode†tab

5. Put a check in SPDIF passthrough.

Now the Audigy 2 will not decode the signal but will send a 2 stream pcm signal over to the receiver to decode.

ALTERNATE POST:

You'll need a mini mono 3.5mm to RCA connector. Note: Mini mono 3.5mm adapter has one black ring around the tip. Mini Stereo 3.5mm adapters have two rings (Mini adapters are available through Radio Shack).

Connect the mini mono 3.5mm adaptor to the Creative® Sound Blaster Audigy™ Digital Out jack (this should be the orange mini connector on your card).

Using the coaxial RCA cable shipped with the TSS-1, connect the Sound Blaster Audigyâ„¢ to the TSS-1 Coaxial Digital Input (located on the rear panel of the TSS-1).

IMPORTANT NOTE: Creative® Sound Blaster Audigy™ series cards require a 'mini mono' 3.5mm not a 'stereo' 3.5mm adaptor for digital streaming.

Within the Creative® 'Surround Mixer'', click on the 'Speaker' button (located on the left). Ensure that 'Digital Output Only' is selected ('4 Speakers' is the default).

For more details on the Creative® Surround Mixer, see the documentation shipped with your Creative® Sound Blaster Audigy™ or contact Creative®.

Ensure that 'AC3 Decode is disabled

Within the Creative® 'Surround Mixer'', click on the 'Speaker' button, select "Settings" ensure that "AC3 Decode" is disabled.

Important!

The 'Digital Output Sampling Rate' must be reduced to 48khz (the default is 96khz):

Click: Start/Program/Creative/Sound Blaster Audigy/AudioHQ

Double Click on "Device Controls"

Select the "Sampling Rate" tab

Change the 'Digital Output Sampling Rate' from 96khz to 48 khz.

NOTE: Once you do the above, all PC sounds will be streamed digitally. This includes MP3s, Audio CDs, Games, etc. The Yamaha TSS-1 will process all stereo sounds to 'Prologic'. If you prefer to listen to your Audio CDs in Stereo, simply toggle the 'Surround Mixer' back to '2 Speaker' mode and disable 'Digital Output Only'.

>I can now get the front right and front left speakers

>to work. However, in this configuration, the rear and

>center speakers are silent when using EAX and also

>when running the speaker test.

The problem that you are facing is that our digital output jack is set up on a four pole system to carry the front, rear, center, and subwoofer speaker channels separately to the receiver when playing a non-5.1 (or AC3) encoded file. Since you have a stereo jack that is going into the digital output only, the jack itself if only capable of carrying the front speakers. If you play an AC3 file, then you should get all speakers to play. This is currently a limitation of the cable, not the card or the receiver. You can try searching out for a four pole minijack to RCA adapter cable to run between the two devices that should give you all the speakers that the audio file itself can support. I have been told that these cables are available, but they are apparently hard to find.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Do I read this correctly? Is this saying that you can't get 5.1 by using the digital out on your SB and connecting it to your receiver? Even if the source is a DVD?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Audigy can pass a DD/DTS signal from a DVD movie to a receiver for decoding. I think above where it says "2 stream pcm signal" it should be "DD/DTS signal" (though Kireta's post has some great info listed).

Here's a summary of the software settings (at least for an Audigy 1) to passthrough DD/DTS from a software DVD player to your external receiver/decoder:

1. AudioHQ > Digital Input tab

--------------------------------

SPDIF pulldown should be set to Default

(SPDIF Bypass is for passing stream from SPDIF-in of LiveDrive to SPDIF-out, and AC3 SPDIF-in decode is for DD decoding of a digital signal that's coming into the LiveDrive's SPDIF-in).

2. AudioHQ > Sampling Rate tab

48kHz

3. Surround Mixer (Speaker) > Settings

AC-3 decode should not be checked.

4. Surround Mixer (Speaker)

Digital Output Only checked (if using the connector on the back of the card to send a digital signal, if using LiveDrive S/PDIF this shouldn't make a difference).

5. Sofware DVD Player

DVD Software Player > Configuration/Setup

The player's audio setting should be something like 'S/PDIF passthrough'.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I decided to try and get this to work and I think I see a problem with getting the OEM version of cards. I don't have the AudioHQ software and can't get to many of these settings. I used to hate AudioHQ because it always intruded on on stuff and made it more complicated. Now I think I need it. The only setting I have is the "use digital out" checkbox on the XP sound panel settings and this isn't working. You can download patches to the Creative Labs control software but not the original which is required for the patches to work.

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. I do end up getting sound out of the digital out but it's very low and drowned out by static. I can boost the output from the sound card but all this does is make the static worse. The regular connections (front/rear) appear to work fine but I want/need to use digital to get 5.1 output. Without the AudioHQ application there really isn't much I can find to tweak besides the volume control panel in XP (and the one checkbox). Am I missing something?

My experiement at testing a HTPC is failing miserably :(

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I think the OEM versions have the creative software, not the extra's that come in the boxed version. Audio HQ is on the same disk as the drivers. Did you get a driver disk? I would email the company you bought from and ask for all the creative software as it should come with the card.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I gave up on the Audigy 2 card - I don't play games much and the computer is for 95% HTPC. I could get 2 channels to work through the digital out most of the time (not 100%) I wasn't able to make it just pass through the DTS/DD so my denon could process it. After different drivers and trying everything I could think of I just gave up. I am far from a beginner when it comes to computers but I just didn't have time to play around any more. I pulled the card and just use the Digital out on my ASUS motherboard and it works great! I had an intermittent stutter when playing some DVD's and that also went away when I pulled the Audigy 2.

I can't understand how Creative Labs can sell so many cards and have such horrible support. I couldn't find my original software and their web sites won't let you install new drivers if you don't have the older drivers. I figured I could just buy replacement CD's - I email support asking how - waited a week with no reply - emailed once a day for a week with no reply - then I emailed six or seven times a day for 3 or 4 days with no reply. It has now been about 3 months and still have no reply - not that I care, I won't be needing anything from Creative Labs.

Sorry to be such a nay sayer but you may just want to get some other sound card. It just wasn't worth it to me.

I hope you can get it working or maybe some one here can get you going.

-Mike

·
Registered
315 Posts
I looked through my collection of CD's and I don't see one for the Audigy. I think when I ordered it from NewEgg is just came wrapped in bubble tape.

Creative seems willing to give you the drivers but not the extra software. If you look at their website all the program downloads are updates. I found a website in Romania that said it had the original AudioHQ software but I didn't feel like risking it. I guess that's what happens when you get the cheap OEM version.

I did do a test and plug the cable into my regular front speaker connection and it worked so the cable must be fine.

I've debated getting a cheap sound card with optical connections before. Maybe this is what I need to do now.

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Seng
I think the OEM versions have the creative software, not the extra's that come in the boxed version. Audio HQ is on the same disk as the drivers. Did you get a driver disk? I would email the company you bought from and ask for all the creative software as it should come with the card.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I recommend going back to your vendor (NewEgg) and insist they provide the software that is supposed to come with the card - AFAIK even OEM versions of that card are suppossed to come with the basic software that includes the drivers, audiohq and surround mixer (all are required to properly setup and configure the card). I would think that they only thing it wouldn't include is the extra bundled 3rd party software and any hardware connectors.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Has anybody found this "four pole minijack" and can confirm that it does indeed carry the "front, rear, ccenter, and sub" to the receiver?

This is the first I've heard, I thought the Audigy could only do stereo for anything other than DVD DD/DTS playback (and then it's the software doing it anyway)

Does this sound right, can anybody point me in the right direction please?

Thanks,

Flipper

>I can now get the front right and front left speakers

>to work. However, in this configuration, the rear and

>center speakers are silent when using EAX and also

>when running the speaker test.

The problem that you are facing is that our digital output jack is set up on a four pole system to carry the front, rear, center, and subwoofer speaker channels separately to the receiver when playing a non-5.1 (or AC3) encoded file. Since you have a stereo jack that is going into the digital output only, the jack itself if only capable of carrying the front speakers. If you play an AC3 file, then you should get all speakers to play. This is currently a limitation of the cable, not the card or the receiver. You can try searching out for a four pole minijack to RCA adapter cable to run between the two devices that should give you all the speakers that the audio file itself can support. I have been told that these cables are available, but they are apparently hard to find.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think I might be getting screwed up by the terms used for making the connections. People seem to like to alternate between the connection type and the connection method like they're interchangable. While this may be true it's confusing to use neophytes.

For example, I got a cable similar to what Creative shows here http://www.americas.creative.com/pro...incategory=462 except it's a mono as it's supposed to be. But if I read the information that kireta found, it says to hook up the digital out of the Audigy to the SPIDIF/AC3 coaxial (digital) of my receiver. Well, my receiver two types of audio connections - RCA and optical. I assumed that "SPIDIF/AC3 coaxial (digital)" meant RCA so that's what I did using the RCA for my DVD device. This gives me low sounds with tons of hiss and static.

After reading some more, I don't think I'm doing this right. I don't even think I should be using the mini to RCA connector that I'm using. What should be simple has turned into a frustrating nightmare.

Sorry to vent but this is driving me nuts. I understand that some phrases may be interchangable, but when dealing with people like me who don't understand them all it's just confusing. You would think that companies would make it as simple as possible and avoid customer calls and complaints. Just use the names of the plugs or connectors and not the name of the cable or connection type. If it's an optical connection then just call it that and avoid refering to it by the cable or it's the standard used. Arrrggghhh!!

Thanks. I feel better now.

Quote:
Originally posted by kireta
Here is a summary of some information from Creative and posts on the internet:

Try connecting it like this:

CONNECT THE DIGITAL OUT TO A RECEIVER

1. Get an 1/8th inch stereojack to RCA cable. (you can get this at any Radio Shack type store)

2. Plug the stereojack into the digital out on the sound card.

3. Plug the RCA connector to the SPIDIF/AC3 coaxial (digital) input on your receiver.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
PretzelB,

Keep in mind that all S/PDIF is digital and can be either coax or optical. On the soundcard side for you the plug is 1/8" miniphono while on receiver side it is RCA plug or plugs; inbetween it is coax line (if you had an Audigy with a LiveDrive you could use optical).

If your getting low bass/hiss then either something is still not hooked up right, there's something wrong with one of your lines or soundcard or you still don't have the necessary software installed.

If not already, you really need to install the necessary software to make the card work. For instance, that connector on the Audigy can be either analog or digital depending on the 'digital out' setting of the Surround Mixer. Without the Surround Mixer I don't know how you set the signal for that connector - maybe your atually feeding your receiver an analog signal and overloading its digital input?

·
Registered
2 Posts
For both PretzelB and Kitera,

I think the advice given by Sherbona should be followed. Except in the case of the sound card output being analog/digital. That might br true on the Audigy but not for the Audigy2. the A2 has a dedicated jack for digital out.

My brother had the same problem when he got his A2 and we fix the matter with the instructions found in the manual on the disk. You DO need a "MONO" minijack to RCA or OPTICAL SPDIF. and it is quite possible as Safaa had suggested "check the setting in your receiver" most of them these days allow the type of input to be selected via menu. there was no reply as to that suggestion being tried.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I did try the mono mini-to-RCA cord using the "digital-out" on my Audigy and the DVD in on my receiver. I was also able to download the AudioHQ software. The only extra functionality that AudioHQ seems to offer is the ability to change the frequency. I think I had options for 44, 48, and 96. I tried all 3 (I think 48 is supposed to work) and still no luck. The static became worse the higher the setting.

I don't have an option to choose my connection type on my receiver menu. This makes me wonder how my receiver knows what to do. Currently I have my DVD player connected via optical. The only thing I can think of is that I have to put the plug back on the optical connection so the receiver stops trying to read via optical. I kind of doubt this would make a difference though.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigdog-1
For both PretzelB and Kitera,

I think the advice given by Sherbona should be followed. Except in the case of the sound card output being analog/digital. That might br true on the Audigy but not for the Audigy2. the A2 has a dedicated jack for digital out.

My brother had the same problem when he got his A2 and we fix the matter with the instructions found in the manual on the disk. You DO need a "MONO" minijack to RCA or OPTICAL SPDIF. and it is quite possible as Safaa had suggested "check the setting in your receiver" most of them these days allow the type of input to be selected via menu. there was no reply as to that suggestion being tried.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm foolishly trying to make this work again. I'm sitting on the floor typing this so I can relay all the latest info in hopes someone can help. Here goes...

I found my driver disk for the Audigy so now I have the Creative Surround Mixer software. I have found some interesting behaviors. I have connected my Audigy to my receivers DVD input using a 1/8 mini to RCA cable that is mono.

Mixer setting: digital out only w/ any speaker setting

WinDVD 4: digital s/pdif out selected in audio configuration

------------------

Loud hiss heard. No movie sounds. The mixer test button doesn't send any sound.

Mixer setting: digital out only w/ any speaker setting

WinDVD 4: analog sound card selected in audio configuration

------------------

Loud hiss heard. Low movie sounds. No mixer test results.

Mixer setting: uncheck the digital output only setting

WinDVD 4: analog sound card selected in audio configuration (external pro logic processor checkbox still checked)

------------------

Hiss is gone. Movie sound is normal but only center channel coming in. The mixer test results in only the center test being heard.

Using a stereo mini-RCA cable instead of mono.

Mixer setting: digital out to external processor

-------------------

No sound.

Mixer setting: uncheck the digital out only box

-------------------

No hiss. Mixer test results in the "center" test being heard but on the front speakers. No sound from WinDVD.

Mixer setting: uncheck the digital out only box

WinDVD 4: analog sound card selected in audio configuration (external pro logic processor checkbox checked)

-------------------

No hiss. Mixer test results in the "center" test being heard but on the front speakers. Sound from WinDVD but it all comes out center.

I'm sorry to beat everyone down with this problem again but it seems like I'm close and this should be easy. I can't figure out why I get ANY signal when selecting analog let alone a nice clear signal.

Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Finally figured it out. I was using the wrong connection on my receiver.For those like me who don't understand all the interchangable and over used phrases (like spdif) used to discuss audio connections, here's how it's done.

1. Get a cable from some place like Radio Shack that has a mono (one ring around the plug - stereo is two rings) mini (or 1/8") jack on one end and an RCA plug. Typically these cords have dual RCA jacks on one end but what you really need is a single RCA jack. So a mono mini jack on one end and a single RCA jack on the other.

2. Connect the mini plug to your digital out on the sound card.

3. Connect the RCA plug to a co-axial input on your receiver. I used the DVD connection. My 5.1 receiver is a few years old but it has a few jacks. For DVD, it had a stereo RCA jack (both red and white plugs), an optical connection, and hidden away is co-axial RCA connection (which I think was colored yellow). I had to crawl around to find it. My receiver had two co-axial connections: one for DVD/LD and the other for CD.

4. Configure audio software to only use the digital out connection. You may also have to set the frequency from 96 to 48 or 44.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What timing! I've been having the exact same problem with my OEM A2 card and have given up when I accidentally found this post. I was about to dump the A2 and go for an MAudio.

Would it be possible for someone to elaborate on the fix for the problem where you only get the front speakers passed through to the digital port?

I'm using a mono 3.5 to RCA cable, but as posted above, when I do the EAX speaker test, I only hear the front two speakers, the center, rears and sub are silent. Is it the case that they will not work and there is no fix for this? I have looked for, but have no option to pass AC3, so I assume that my OEM software did not include it.

I know my receiver is setup okay because I'm getting some digital signal coming through.

Thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Caffe
What timing! I've been having the exact same problem with my OEM A2 card and have given up when I accidentally found this post. I was about to dump the A2 and go for an MAudio.

Would it be possible for someone to elaborate on the fix for the problem where you only get the front speakers passed through to the digital port?

I'm using a mono 3.5 to RCA cable, but as posted above, when I do the EAX speaker test, I only hear the front two speakers, the center, rears and sub are silent. Is it the case that they will not work and there is no fix for this? I have looked for, but have no option to pass AC3, so I assume that my OEM software did not include it.

I know my receiver is setup okay because I'm getting some digital signal coming through.

Thanks for any assistance.
The Audigy card is unable to take an EAX surround signal, and convert it into a dolby digital signal that your reciever/processor can translate back into 5/6/7.1 audio. The only device currently on the market that can do this is the Nforce1 and nforce2 sound chipsets, which 99% of the time are built onto motherboard. The signal that you are currently passing to the amp from your audigy when you perform the EAX signal test will be a standard PCM signal, resulting in a stereo output. The only surround output that the audigy will support from EAX coding will be a 6 channel analogue signal from the soundcard, and will involve hooking up 3 runs of stereo cable from your sound card to the multichannel input on your amp.reciever.

DD and DTS from DVD is another matter however, as your DVD program will simply strip out the relevent bit stream (DD or DTS) and send it out of the digital output to your reciever. No encoding or decoding is done at all on board the Audigy, it is just a means of getting the digital soundtrack out of the PC.

I hope this clears any issues up, any probs i will be glad to advise. If i can :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.