AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.. my friends are two folks in their 70s, and they're starting to mention that dialogue with their current setup is getting hard to hear (distinguish). Almost impossible with accented English. I'm sure their A/V setup is pure vanilla (out of the box, plug it in, go).

Are there any tips or tricks to help "pull" the dialog out from the rest of the audio, to make it a bit clearer?

Current setup:

Samsung LN46A550

Sony Soundbar SS-CT500

Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BD60.

Thanks in advance,

Scary

·
Registered
318 Posts
Set their cable box to stereo if it's feeding surround that could be the problem.

·
Registered
23,238 Posts
Could be various reasons and/or options to resolve.

An explanation of connectivity would be helpful (cable box, TV tuner, optical, analog audio, etc.). Is it a problem with all sources (BRD and TV/cable/satellite/FiOS or whatever)?

Checking settings would be a start. Are they using Dolby Pro-Logic, Dolby Digital, SRS?

Have you/they tried looking for a "dynamic compression" or "night mode" setting?

Is there a way to increase the volume of "center channel" volume?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/20766340

Could be various reasons and/or options to resolve.

An explanation of connectivity would be helpful (cable box, TV tuner, optical, analog audio, etc.). Is it a problem with all sources (BRD and TV/cable/satellite/FiOS or whatever)?

Checking settings would be a start. Are they using Dolby Pro-Logic, Dolby Digital, SRS?

Have you/they tried looking for a "dynamic compression" or "night mode" setting?

Is there a way to increase the volume of "center channel" volume?

On top of this, and this is probably a long shot, any sort of "Dialog Enhanacement" features? Or EQ settings that can be adjusted?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Whatever compression features are availed to them (cable box, receiver, or TV), would likely help normalize dialog, and help inteligibility.

Good luck

·
Registered
69 Posts
scaryberry: I don't usually look at the "theory" section but did today and saw your question re dialog intelligibility.

I had noticed a press release that ZVOX (a company that makes self-contained "soundbars" which sit under the TV) introduced 2 new models (555 and 580) in June with a new "Dialog Emphasis" feature. Quote from their website: "....when you push the "DE" button on the remote control you engage a circuit that mimics the functions of a hearing aid. The frequencies used by human voices are dynamically emphasized, while other frequencies are minimized."

I'm interested in it for some friends too, posted a thread in the Soundbar section ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1350386 ) hoping to learn more about it, and got a couple of comments but nothing definitive.

Depending on where your friends live they may be able to "demo" the feature at a local store. The ZVOX website lists retailers which carry the brand. ZVOX also does a lot of business direct. Unfortunately there's no retailer with these models in my neck of the woods.

If you or your friends persue this and are able to hear one of the models, please let me/us know what you/they think.

Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.