AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to throw in an audio analogy to the LCD vs Plasma debate that I've noticed.

I remember when solid state transistorized amplifiers were taking over the audio world by storm in the late 1960's. They had much better distortion statistics and more power than tube amplifiers. They usually played louder too, although that wasn't always true, and people prefer louder to softer levels. People started to associate transistors with progress. Each year transistorized amps got even better distortion ratings. People couldn't wait to unload their now "unreliable" tube amps for "rugged" transistor amps. Tubes got a bad rap. My ears don't lie, and I definately prefer the sound of tubes when it comes to listening to music. It wasn't long before tubes amps weren't really available anymore. Even when the next year's transistorized models where introduced with even better measurements than the previous year, I couldn't hear the improvement.

I liken this to the plasma vs LCD debate. Plasma gets a bad rap. Each year LCD gets "better" than the year before. LCD gets attributed to having a brighter picture just like transistorized amps got credit for playing louder and having more power. Plasma gets labeled as unreliable with image retention just like tube amplifiers got labeled as being less reliable.

LCDs may have certain better measurements in this or that measurement, but my eyes tell me differently. I prefer the picture of plasma over LCD, just like I prefer the sound of tubes over transistors.

I've heard nothing is new under the sun. Does anybody else see history repeating itself in the same way?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Interesting and good analogy. Tube amps generally provide a warmer sound and more depth. Vinyl albums provide a warmer, fuller sound with more depth than digital CDs. Plasma TVs provide a warmer, richer, or more realistic picture than LCDs.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Early DACs weren't linear. In the last ten years great strides have been made in digital conversion. Technology has allowed incredible fidelity and linearity in tiny little MP3/FLAC players like the inexpensive Sansa Clip. If anything, I see more people embracing digital. Anyhow today's plasma isn't a totally analog device. Perhaps the analogy applies better to older CRT vs. more modern plasma and LCD.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill4903485 /forum/post/18276299

Early DACs weren't linear. In the last ten years great strides have been made in digital conversion. Technology has allowed incredible fidelity and linearity in tiny little MP3/FLAC players like the inexpensive Sansa Clip. If anything, I see more people embracing digital. Anyhow today's plasma isn't a totally analog device. Perhaps the analogy applies better to older CRT vs. more modern plasma and LCD.

I was thinking the same thing when it comes to digital vs analog systems

his analogy does sort of work except for the fact that LCD's been around as long if not longer than Plasma where as Tubes came before Transistor amps

otherwise it is a pretty good analogy and if the past repeats itself Plasma will become extinct one day and everyone will be used to how LCD looks and forget how much better Plasma looked

of course though just like old tube technologies both in audio amps as well as CRT it will likely never die and will always have a niche market for those who want the best experience because even today you can still find and buy both of the former

1 - 4 of 4 Posts