AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance for your advice.

I'm planning a whole house audio system (that will also do video, but I'm still thinking that one through). I'm looking, for example, at the Russound CAV. I'll have 14 zones/subzones for audio plus 7 video zones. For my central closet I'm thinking of using the area that is next to my forced air unit and motor. The FAU is in the laundry room and I'd like to have the closet be in the garage just on the other side of the wall from the FAU. My Question: Is it a problem to be this close to the FAU or will I possibly get noise from the motor? The closet (actually, just a rack that will be walled around with the front being accessible from inside the house) will contain all equipment.

Thanks, Clark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How far away from my forced air unit (heating & A/C blower) do I need my audio equipment to be?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrud /forum/post/15556949

How far away from my forced air unit (heating & A/C blower) do I need my audio equipment to be?

12.75m

The motor in you HVAC might not even be an important source of RF noise. Even if it is putting out some RF, it may not cause any problems for most devices even those a few inches away.

Check it out for yourself. Get a portable AM/FM radio, set it to AM and tune a weak or no station, and move the radio around in the vicinity of the fan motor. If you hear an increase in noise as you approach the forced air unit switch to FM and the noise should vanish. Switch back to AM and take note of how near you have to hold the radio to hear the noise.

My forced air heater is not a detectable noise source (at least with the cabinet closed up as it normally is), but my PC and monitor both put out a fair amount of RF.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts