AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my HTPC I'm using the M-Audio 24/96 sound card and I've experience an interesting problem when watching movies. After about 30 minutes you notice that the video and audio are not in sync. That is the lips move and the sound doesn't come out at the same time, incredibly annoying. This gets worse if you don't do anything and just let it play. Therefore its possible that it may have been off from the begining and it was hard to notice the problem. If you jump to the previous chapter, or next chapter, or stop and start again, the problem seems to go away until you notice it again 30 minutes later.

I'm using PowerDVD. I'm NOT using the DD or DTS bitstream with the M-Audio, I'm sending the S/PDIF out to a two channel DA processor (CAL sigma II) and using an analog surround sound processor. As a result I have the S/PDIF output set to 44.1 kHz. The clock is set to internal. By the way it sounds fine if it were not for the sync problem.

Anybody know what up?

Regards,

John Moschella

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi John:

___I have never heard of someone using the M-Audio cards like this but DVD’s are encoded at 48 KHz. Is their any particular reason why you are downsampling to 44.1 KHz? Have you also attempted to run AC-3 or DTS direct into a DD/DTS capable receiver and see if you are having the same problem? At least this way, you could possibly deduce if it were the CAL Sigma II causing the problems. Please reply because I am interested in your reasons for conversion and playback through the external device is all.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wayne,

The reason why I have selected 44.1 is because at 48 I get some wierd noises from the Sigma II. Maybe I'll give this another try, but the first time I tried it I didn't work. I wonder if thats the problem. I just read Cliff's notes on the M-Audio and I'll make sure all the settings are correct.

I admitt that this set up is somewhat odd, but the driving force is that may surround sound processor is a matrix decoder that accepts stereo as its input and that is where the Sigma II comes in. Right now I don't have a DD compatible decoder or I would try it out ASAP.

Do you have to have the "sync data transfer" box check on the DVD drive properties? I didn't have it checked.

Regards,

John Moschella

·
Registered
637 Posts
Following up on this. I'm experiencing the same problems. The longer a movie goes, the further out of sync it seems to get. Like John I'm using the 2496, however at this time just the Analog outs until my 3801 comes in (due today).

I think it's been most noticeable with MMC 7.1, but it did happen somewhat with PowerDVD.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Aslan...

Config:

CUSL2C / PIII-1000

256MB RAM

Audiophile 2496

Radeon 64 DDR

Deskstar 75Gbx7200

Yamaha receiver (pro-logic only)

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The solution to my problem was to not force a sampling rate. I forget the actual setting but don't click on the box that says lock sampling rate, or something like that. Once I fixed this my problem went away.

John Moschella

·
Registered
637 Posts
John, Thanks for your reply. I've been neck deep in alligators at work this week and haven't had time to try your suggestion. I'm planning to this weekend and will let you know how it comes out.

Thanks,

Aslan...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.