AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Video and Audio is going to a Receiver in another room via an HDMI cable. But I want to downmix for the room the computer is in. This same scenario would be identical if a person wanted a headphone setup.
I've investigated a few options.

1) Current solution: There is a monitor in the room that also receives HDMI from the same source (They are bi-connected, or connected in series). The monitor has a 2.5mm audio out.
a) The issue here is. If the computer is set to Multi-Channel and if the source is decoded on the computer. The speakers in the room, do not hear the 'Center' voice channel, is the primary concern.
2) I had one of those 'HDMI extractors' for a minute. I ended up returning it. I blew a cap in it. It was cheap. The kind that has a channel switch - '2, 5.1, or pass.'. I also thought I didn't need it. Thinking that the TV would downmix it itself. I was wrong. Is this the only viable solution?
3) Another solution is to use some software solution. Although I haven't figured out one yet. An opposing solution that I've seen is stuff like: 'VoiceMeeter' But this does not seem to work in my case, because the audio needs to come from the NVidia HDMI not the Realtek panel.
a) In order for this to work. I need audio to go out in real-time to two different sources. 1) 5.1 to my graphics card via HDMI 2) The 'Realtek' on-board audio card. - But the original source needs to be the HDMI, and then passed back into the Realtek with almost 0 latency.
b) I couldn't figure out how to get native 'Stereo Mix' nor 'Voice-Meeter' to do it. Is there another program? I believe they are designed to go the other way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Voicemeeter Banana version should help since it can manage up to 3 independent physical audio devices. One BUS can feed a 5.1 speaker system while another can be used in stereo, thank to its MIX DOWN mode (output BUS can be mixed down to Stereo, or even Mono). Hope it helps...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Voicemeeter issues

I can only blame Voicemeeter. I installed Voicemeeter 'regular'. Uninstalled it. And I need to blame them for screwing up my WMC. My WMC is now hosed and I get the dreaded 'Video Error: Files needed to display video are not installed'. When playing anything after a few seconds. This is bad!, because it is not going away. I'm wasting work time messing with this. The simple fixes, people speak about kill DTS sound.
I think I'm going to have to do a system-restore.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
went back one restore, and the system still finds a 'VB-Audio VoiceMeeter' device in the system (but no programs). I needed to go back farther I guess. And my WMC is still hosed.

Just an Update: Back two restores. The problem resurfaced. So, perhaps it was not VoiceMeeter after all. I am in world of trouble. It is some setting in my Audio-Video config, and I'm not sure what it is. WMC doesn't like something.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK.. Figured out
Crash2009 wins... He solved the issue.
http://www.sevenforums.com/media-center/183053-media-center-tv-video-error.html

I needed to set my Windows settings to ‘Stereo’ and WMC to 5.1.
Later I can try again with VoiceMeeter banana version. To solve the original question.

With all the changes I've made recently in my Analog to Digital conversion in the HTPC, I just made this change and not noticed that WMC quit working at an earlier period.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Voicemeeter Banana version should help since it can manage up to 3 independent physical audio devices. One BUS can feed a 5.1 speaker system while another can be used in stereo, thank to its MIX DOWN mode (output BUS can be mixed down to Stereo, or even Mono). Hope it helps...
Ok I installed it.. But I'm like now what. This is not-intuitive.

Are you sure this will recognize HDMI digital out? The Hardware Inputs do not seem to allow my HDMI output. Only the realtek. Help?

As I said above... I'm going from the HDMI to the Realtek, not the other way around.

Edit: I really doubt your software is built to decode DTS or DTS+ and stream that to another device.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, there is maybe a misunderstanding somewhere. A HDMI output is a playback device that connot be used as an input. When application send audio to HDMI out, the signal goes out from the computer through the HDMI connection.

What i understood is that you wanted to send audio (from a DVD player for example), to HDMI output (in 5.1 DTS) and to a headphone (in stereo) in the same time, and this is possible with Voicemeeter Banana...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, there is maybe a misunderstanding somewhere. A HDMI output is a playback device that connot be used as an input. When application send audio to HDMI out, the signal goes out from the computer through the HDMI connection.

What i understood is that you wanted to send audio (from a DVD player for example), to HDMI output (in 5.1 DTS) and to a headphone (in stereo) in the same time, and this is possible with Voicemeeter Banana...
This does not work because my receiver will only pick up 2-channels on this method over HDMI. Because of the lack of the supported formats tab.

As per the instructions:
1) Setting VBmeeter input as Default playback device.
2) Changing VB to 5.1
3) configuing to send 6-channels to the Receiver output.... and downmix to Realtek

The problem: I'm not sure what format it will try and send 6-channels of data down the HDMI path. But what is happening is, it is acting as an Virtual Audio on-board audio card. So programs see the audio connection as 6-discreetly connected outputs. Under the actual HDMI playback device for my receiver I have a 'supported format' tab, that lists different encoding.... btw, when playing re-encoded content, vb-meter, doesn't show anything at all.

In the end when using VBMeeter,..Yes I get sound, in both amps, but both in two channel. Yes VBMeter may say 6-channels, but my receiver doesn't receive it.

I may go back and try XBMC once again. Someone came up with something
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=86038

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Its possible VBMeeter is sending out the 5.1 via PCM or LPCM. But I have another problem with my HDMI daughter board on my receiver, and I'm currently connected via, coaxial. SPDIF cannot carry multi-channel over PCM it needs to be encoded. I'm waiting for another part to come in for my receiver.

I'm also looking into a physical solution.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_...1011412&p_id=10251&seq=1&format=2#description

Edit: See this thread in which these guys explain, how they try and fail to get stuff like that to work. But mention a very expensive one, that probably would work.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-home-v-distribution/1397286-hdmi-audio-extractor.html

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Fixed my receiver. Hooked up now via HDMI.
But no change with VBMeeter. I'm not sure how it is sending the data for the 6-channels down the HDMI wire. The receiver says PCM, but I'm not receiving 6-channels.

I haven't found a hardware solution either that is cheap enough yet.
Here is my connection diagram... with possibles.

Edit: I believe a new limitation is that my Graphics card is limited in its ability to send unprocessed audio data. I have the Geforce GT220. I would need to upgrade to the GT 720, or something. Maybe.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I'm not sure if this is your answer or not, but it was mine. In my system I use JRiver Media Center setup for two zones. Zone 1 is HDMI to my AVR. Zone 2 uses an inexpensive CMedia USB DAC to route audio to the receivers Zone 2. This allows 5.1 content in the main zone and stereo in Zone 2. Zones can be ganged to have the same program in both zones.

Jeff

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Success has been achieved

VoiceMeeter is working as the solution. Even before I upgraded my Vid-card. Here is what I did, or missed:

Earlier I mentioned that there is a common conflict between Windows Media Center and HDMI Multi-channel outputs. I was getting the dreaded 'Video Error...'. So I had my HDMI playback device set to 2-CH. This proved to be the 'DUH!' problem for my VoiceMeeter setup.

Here is the complete setup:

1) Download and install VoiceMeeter Banana
2) Changed my HDMI Onkyo (AVR) playback device to 5.1 channels (Missed this step before ?!)
3) Change VoiceMeeter Input playback device to 5.1 channels
a) In the advance tab Set to 24bit- 96000 - The max allowed for Bus A1 in VoiceMeeter, at this time.
4) Reanble my Realtek playback device
5) Change VoiceMeeter Input as the Default Playback device
6) Open up VoiceMeeter
a) In Virtual inputs (it is Voicemeeter VAIO in my case), set so that its piping the same sound to 'A1', and 'A2'.
b) Set to 96000hz in setup. I'm trying 'swift' mode.
c) I had to make a couple of balancing techniques between the two zones. But I turned off the equalizer.
7) Change A1 to be Hardware WDM-HDMI out and A2 to be Hardware WDM- Realtek audio card....

Note: You can leave A2-bus on 'Mixdown A or B'. But note that some things on the computer like your 'Flash' player will automatically fill the speakers with sound when a multi-channel setup is detected. So it will sound pretty bad. It will dilute the LxR channels with garbage. So you may only want to use 'Mixdown' when actually required. Like when watching an actual 5.1+ program.

Now to the actual sound that gets to the AVR: My receiver with this setup picks up 'Multi-CH PCM', and it tests really good! I left the receiver in 'Direct' mode. I haven't yet tested a Blu-ray or anything, but I think it is working better than expected.

One complaint. It does take 6-7% of my CPU constantly... and nearly 50000k memory.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts