AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello AVS Forum memers, Please help. Just last night had Direct tv sat installation in a/v room at home. I already have several question/problems.

Equipment list:

Theta Casablanca processor

Classe/Krell 5 channel amplification

Samsung HLN61 display

Zenith 520? Sat. receiver utilizing DVI to display for video and optical out to processor for audio.

1. I am getting an intermittent audio buzz through the system, maybe 30 seconds apart and lasts for approx. 10 seconds. Installer could not offer any suggestions. Is this a signal issue from the antenna or is it originating in the tuner?

2. I cannot get dolby digital audio output, or DTS for that matter. Dolby Prologic, Stereo, and various Matrix audio outputs operate ok(except for buzz!) My research on this forum indicated that I could expect to hear Dolby Digital through sat signal.,?

Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou, and BTW, first post.wdt

·
Registered
225 Posts
wdt, welcome to the Forum

The addition of a separate, new "circuit" such as the satellite coax cable, to the system can introduce the dreaded Ground Loop Hum. This can show up as a hum outa the sub most often, or horizontal lines scrolling up the video monitor.

In the end, there are various in-line ground loop isolators one can purchase, if this is deemed to be the problem.

In the meantime, the sat installer is spozed to add a ground wire from the dish; most today skip this this. Any grd wire MUST interact, that is be attached, to the main house ground stake. This avoids the two ground circuits, which may mean two circuits at different electrical potentials, and the resultant hum.

The first thing, however, I suggest, is running the incoming sat cable thru a surge protector with F-terminals specifically designed for sat voltage.

The nicest one under $100 wud be Panamax MAX 8 DBS+5 best found HERE

This works by "bonding" the sat cable potential to the house grd potential thru ther surge suppressor. It's worth a try and perhaps this also will upgrade your surge/spike protection.

Regarding DD audio via satellite, you will find these levels of television audio:

*Stereo, the years-old RF standard

* Dolby Surround (basic Dolby ProLogic with some but minimal rear spkr activity). This can be enhanced by selecting Dolby ProLogic II if provided on newer AVRs.

* Dolby Digital 2.0, again a stereo signal, and the MOST COMMON for most sat progrsam transmission.

* DD 5.1 -- the ultimate, but only provided specifically at the head for material recorded in this multichannel. These wud include HBO-HD, Showtime movies and PPV movies.

Some sat set-top receivers needs to be dialed in or told to accept and relay DD signals; check the manual. Or better, use on-line program guides to find a movie broadcast in DD 5.1 such as HBO's Carnivale and see if your receivers' DD LED light up and yr surrounds are fully active during the program.

bill

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.