AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm a newbie to this site so please be kind lol. ill try to provide the best info i can on my set up.

I have a newly finished basement and just purchased some goodies to enjoy some movies in my basement, see below:

Receiver - Yamaha RX-V573

Speakers - PSB Alpha Intros (5.1 setup) Subzero2 subwoofer (its a small room so these speakers are large enough)

TV - Panasonic ET5 (TCL55ET5) - 55" 3D LED

HDMI in (PS3 to receiver)

HDMI out (receiver to TV)

AUDIO for bluray is optical out (from PS3 into the receiver)

The issue:

While watching a Blu-Ray (3D) through PS3, after a loud action sequence with substantial bass, i hear a loud buzz or humming coming from my front right channel. I can turn off the receiver and power it back on and it goes away. The entire entertainment system is on its on direct line from the electrical panel. I have the receiver and a PS3 on a plastic shelf in behind the wall in an unfinished laundry room.

What are some troubleshooting or things i do to pin point the issue? Thoughts on if this a Yamaha or PS3 issue or is it simply a miss connection with the speaker wire?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So here are some things i have tried and double checked...

- I updated the firmware

- Double checked the polarity of all speaker wires

- Unplugged all power and power bar into a completely different outlet (a different line to panel)

- Tried using HDMI output for audio

- Bough a new optical cable, incase it was a bad cable

- This is the last thing which stumps me... .I plugging an RCA directly to my iPhone as the source, and it still buzzes when volume is cranked

Thinking i might need to send this brand new amp in for service, any thoughts?

thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a Yamaha RX-V575 that's doing the same thing...it's brand new as well. When watching a movie and the volume gets loud, a buzz will kick in. It's happened about 5 times to me in the last 2 weeks that I've had this amp, every time during a loud volume event. It did it tonight and I walked around to each speaker and I could hear a buzz from all 5 (fronts, center, rears) but not from the sub. If I power the receiver off/on it fixes it. Completely annoying, I'm going to try to exchange the amp for a different one...maybe just a defect? The only common factor I can think of is that I believe each time it has happened while watching a bluray with lossless audio. If the volume's quiet, no issues at all.

HTPC (w/ bluray) --> Yamaha AVR --> Panasonic TV via HDMI

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very interesting... Thanks for responding. I should correct my first post, the buzz does come from ALL speakers.

I brought it back to the shop where I purchased it... He is checking whether his Yamaha rep will replace or fix the issue. It's a suspect "bad ground" to one of the terminals

·
Registered
3 Posts
Apologies for raising an old post from the dead but I have the Yamaha RX-V575 and have exactly the same issue, when cranked up I get a buzz until I turn the unit on and off again or turn the volume off for a short while!

Did either of you get this issue resolved and how? My warranty is out :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apologies for raising an old post from the dead but I have the Yamaha RX-V575 and have exactly the same issue, when cranked up I get a buzz until I turn the unit on and off again or turn the volume off for a short while!

Did either of you get this issue resolved and how? My warranty is out :(
hey @robnash, i did end up getting the receiver replaced after a couple trips to the yamaha service. I even went out and purchased a new bluray/3D player, and I thought things were great and the problem was gone.. but wouldn't you know it, i was watching Interstellar and a loud sequence happened and the F'ING thing started buzzing again!!! My wife has never heard my yell as much as when this happened lol. Anyways, I honestly don't get to have the system that loud too much anymore now with the addition of our baby.

However, it did only happen once since i got the new amp, so i am at a loss. I have LED pot lights in the basement, and a friend of mine mentioned quite possible that there is a frequency interference with the LED's? I think i have discounted the grondp loop problem, as i unplugged all other devices using the same electrical line, and the problem still was there. I should clarify, that it is not solely when watching DVD/Bluray/3D etc.. i plugged my iphone straight in and cranked it and it did it as well.

This is one weird mystery that i would love to get the bottom of.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, in case anyone else can diagnose this.. I do have an HD antenna mounted to the roof. the line comes straightinto the basement, using a powered signal booster, and then splits off the 3 different outlets in the house.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts