AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I will just have to build a cabinet that will sufficiently house my equipment...

I have searched multiple forums on this topic and have found no applicable threads - if there are some please point me to them.

Can someone help with a suggestion? I am looking for a cabinet that all of my audio/video equipment will actually fit into. Let me give you the constraints: I have a turntable, large amp, receiver, DVD player, cassette deck, VCR, HTPC, and a 200 disc cd changer and a 400 disc CD changer (these are large - almost 23" deep). I am having trouble locating any type of cabinet specifically made for A/V equipment that will house all of this stuff. As if selection weren't a big enough problem, WAF and price are also issues. (Although, as price decreases, WAF becomes less of a problem ;) )

I ended up buying this: audio cabinet

but it just isn't cutting the mustard. a) all my components won't even fit into it, and b) the depth measurement in the specs are to the front of the lip on the front bottom of the cabinet, so actual depth for components is more like 21 inches. This means my CD chagers hang out of the back...

I would like to think that I could sell that one to someone at a good price, and that for less than 300 dollars I could pick up something that would meet my needs. Is this a pipe dream? I would like to stay with something commercially available and adjustable as my system may change and/or move around in the future.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

David

·
Registered
451 Posts
I would look at the Salamander racks, especially the Synergy line. The website is salamanderdesigns.com. Their racks are modular, so you can get exactly what you want and need, and extremely well built. We recently set up a Synergy rack at my friend's house, and I was really impressed at its quality, build, and modularity.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Salamander does indeed make nice cabinets, but I seriously doubt you'll be able to pick one up and stay within your $300 budget. Especially with the Synergy line. Also, your changers will still hang out the back with any of these cabinets as they are all less than 20" deep. But I wouldn't be that concerned with overhang as long as the feet on the bottom of the unit don't hang off the edge as well. Most components don't have much more than 17" between the front and back feet. My Kenwood Sovereign DV-5900M 400 disk dvd changer is more than 23" deep yet the distance from the front edge of the front feet to the back edge of the back feet is just barely over 17". It's very stable in my cabinet which is only 20.3" deep.

Ken

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have the Synergy Line cabinet and it can fit the changes, IF you get the expensive extended back for them. I had the 300 Disc Pioneer DVD changer and it fit. You would also need cables that do not have a very big tip, or the ones with the L shaped tips. Cables can take up to 2 inches sometimes.

K_T is right, you will NEVER find Salamander for that price. They are excelent stuff, but pricy. The extended back alone lists for $119, the cabinet itself with sides will run you another $600 at least.

My rack (see link below) cost $1100 for the rack (40 above a 30 with sides and doors) 3 extra shelves ($40 each), 1 drawer ($80), I had to buy a 20 door (still have the 30 door) $95, wheels ($90) and extended back ($100). All together I am up to about $!500.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I looked for months and gave up. I bought a regular depth cabinet and cut openings in the back for my deeper components. Once I get a projector (about 6 mos out) I'll build a cabinet to meet my tastes/needs.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Check out www.electroshops.com they have a huge selection of audio racks. I went with the Sanus, its great.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
David-

Since you started out suggesting building one yourself, than that is what I would suggest. Assuming you have a few tools, that is.

Two sheets of 3/4" Black Melamine will run about $50, a smoked glass door about $35, miscellaneous Black edge banding, about $20, and shelf supports @ $10 or so. !/4" back panel @ $15. 4 furniture castors @ less than $10. Oh! Glass door hinges @ $10.

Looks like less than $300 to me. Be sure to provide enough ventilation.

Regards, Bruce

P.S. No finishing necessary!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.