AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just hooked up my surround sound (5.1) and I have a Yamaha receiver I ran the YPAO calibration but my question is does this give the best sound calibration or is there better ways to get the best experince out of my surround sound and also what should my sub DB level be set to on the reciver can go from 0 all the way to +10 what's everyone recommendation and also what should my sub HZ level on the back of the sub be turned to it goes from 80 to 160

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
So I just hooked up my surround sound (5.1) and I have a Yamaha receiver I ran the YPAO calibration but my question is does this give the best sound calibration or is there better ways to get the best experince out of my surround sound and also what should my sub DB level be set to on the reciver can go from 0 all the way to +10 what's everyone recommendation and also what should my sub HZ level on the back of the sub be turned to it goes from 80 to 160

I run my calibration H/K version, then tweek it to my preference. Put you sub at 160, volume at half. When you run the cal it doesn't matter what volume setting you put it at. Someone will correct me if it is different for YPAO

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I run my calibration H/K version, then tweek it to my preference. Put you sub at 160, volume at half. When you run the cal it doesn't matter what volume setting you put it at. Someone will correct me if it is different for YPAO
So what the difference of putting the sub at 80 or 160 and should I put my fronts as small or large I have towers

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Unless you have speakers with 12" subwoofers, set to small 80hz. My speakers go down to 35hz but I run them as small.

For subwoofer dial crossover you want that all the way to maximum, or ideally bypass.

You want to keep the AVR subwoofer channel level to 00dB

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless you have speakers with 12" subwoofers, set to small 80hz. My speakers go down to 35hz but I run them as small.

For subwoofer dial crossover you want that all the way to maximum, or ideally bypass.

You want to keep the AVR subwoofer channel level to 00dB
Ok thanks I had it at 10db but may I ask why should it be at 00 what does it do anyway thank you in advance

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Ok thanks I had it at 10db but may I ask why should it be at 00 what does it do anyway thank you in advance
What did YPAO set your sub at before you turned it to 10 or did YPAO set it at 10? If YPAO set it at 10 it means you had the gain on your sub too low. You ideally want to run it in the negative range (or is there nothing below zero?).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What did YPAO set your sub at before you turned it to 10 or did YPAO set it at 10? If YPAO set it at 10 it means you had the gain on your sub too low. You ideally want to run it in the negative range (or is there nothing below zero?).
When you say gain do you mean the freaquency level because that goes from 80 to 160 what should I set that to and YPAO set it to 0 I belive i turned it up to 10 should I leave it at 0

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
80 to 160hz is the crossover.
Gain probably goes from -12dB to +12dB. You want it to 00dB or thereabouts, close to 00dB

RTM.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
When you say gain do you mean the freaquency level because that goes from 80 to 160 what should I set that to and YPAO set it to 0 I belive i turned it up to 10 should I leave it at 0
No, the frequency level knob is a low pass filter (a one-sided crossover on the sub's side), and if you're using the avr's bass management you want it bypassed or set to maximum since the avr will apply the crossover you set to both the sub and your speaker. In some cases you might want to add the sub's filter but start with it out of the way.

If your avr set it at 0 that's where it believes your speakers and sub are at an equivalent level for playback. That's a good starting point generally if you're going to bump the sub up a little bit, but bumping it up to 10 from there will invite clipping the signal in that channel. Many do boost the bass but 10 dB is a lot and will put a lot more demand on your sub's amp (considering it takes a doubling of power to gain 3dB). If you really want to bump the bass up 10 dB you want the avr to set the sub level in the negative range (do so by raising the gain level on the sub until YPAO sets the sub in the negative range), -6 to -10 would be a good goal, then bump it up from there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts