AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I noticed on my DVE blu ray that there is audio calibration. I live in a location that it would take me quite a bit to get the special "meter" (remote place, northern canada) so the question is:

If someone on here was going to use this "audio calibration" without the meter, how would they do it?

I understand all the good thigns about the meter, and by no means do I REEALLY want to do it without one, but I also don't want to wait weeks before I can go and get one, and watch a good movie so, for now... Could I have a couple of tips?

Please and thank you?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Without the meter you will need to use your ears. Granted, not the recommended method but works none the less. When the test audio signal is played in each speaker adjust so each speaker has the same output level.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I think there is an iPhone app that acts a meter (if you happen to have an iphone)

·
Registered
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 /forum/post/15590824

If someone on here was going to use this "audio calibration" without the meter, how would they do it?

They wouldn't. If you don't want to use a meter you can calibrate by ear, but your receiver's built-in tones will work fine for this, maybe even better. To try and calibrate with DVE by ear doesn't really make sense.

And you will be able to enjoy your movies just fine if you set the speaker level by ear using the receiver's tones. You may find that you end up adjusting the sub to taste as you begin to use your setup.

The iPhone idea is a great idea, btw. If you don't own one but have a friend who does, you should try and take advantage of that.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I'd order a meter online. You obviously were able to order the DVE Bluray. Or did you buy it somewhere local?

In the meantime, just use your ears and try to set the levels evenly. Set the sub to achieve as much or as little bass as you want.

When you do finally get a meter, don't be surprised how much you ear "calibration" was off and how much better it will sound.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts