AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the new Digital Video Essentials.

I'm a little confused on audio calibration due to the number of audio signals. There are limited band-width and full bandwidth pink noise.

Do you calibrate with the limited bandwidth pink noise signals or the full bandwidth?

Does it matter?

Also, regarding the LFE limited bandwidth pink noise, it seemed way off from my internal test tones on my receiver. The rest of the audio signals were in line with my internal test tones by a decibel or two (but the LFE was about 6 db off).

Which would be better for calibrating the sub level -- my internal receiver test tones or the DVE tones?

By the way, the "Swelltones" Jet logo has some fantastic sound. Great little sound demo.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
My sub was off 8+ DB too!

I tested three other discs and all of them were w/in a db or two so I would not use the Subwoofer test tone.

-Brian

·
Registered
82 Posts
Same for me, around ÷10db, and I've tried it on two very different systems. I've heard that it's supposed to be correct bass level from the new Video Essential. Some theories exist around this. With my ears on my systems, I might as well have thrown out the sub after adjusting according to the new VE, there's hardly any noticeable bass coming from it, so I'll stick to my internal test generator.

B.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
With what are you making the sub measurements? If it's the Radio Shack SPL meter it is notoriously inaccurate below 80 Hz. You will need a more refined measurement tool like a RTA- which is expensive. I have not used this Generation of Video Essentials but I have used the past versions. I have found it accurate. Perhaps this is a problem with the tones on the disk especially given that you have tried other discs and obtained accurate results. But to be certain could you post what the device you are taking these measurements with?

Alan

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have used the audio control rta and bijou eq to set up my audio. The new DVE sub set is limited from 40hz to 80hz plus there is a full pink noise test after the limited ones. Using my rta with the new DVE and AVIA I get the same level yes the rta is +or-2db but rs meter doesn't do very well on low freq some same that a -2or3 db when matching level with the rs meter is more accurate and I would say that is true based on using the rs meter and the rta.

Brad

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I was using a RS Meter. I did notice that the Sub calibration tone was deeper than most.

I think the RS meter is just not accurate at low frequencies. This, however, leaves 99% of us out in the cold.

-Brian

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Quote:
I think the RS meter is just not accurate at low frequencies. This, however, leaves 99% of us out in the cold.
While it is true that the RS meter is far from flat, this is not a problem with the meter, its a problem with DVE.

I calibrated back to back starting with the original VE, then without changing a thing, ran the same tests with DVE.

The main channels of DVE are a couple dB lower than VE (which they should not be, but thats a livable problem), but the sub test tone runs anywhere from 5 to 10 dB hot, all other things being equal.

There is a thread at the HTF where several users are reporting similar results. One of those users has an e-mail in to Joe Kane, who has replied that he would look into the matter.

At least for sub calibration, I am going to stick with Avia or the original VE until this issue is better understood.

BGL

·
Registered
25 Posts
Whew... i'm not going crazy then... I too was getting a huge difference with sub level between AVIA and DVE... and this was the specific reason I got DVE was to calibrate DTS. Using the RS meter also.... which is obviously what is suggested by the DVE program, so don't see why it is so off.

Greg

·
Registered
8 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.