AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I currently have a Delta DiO 2496 card but it doesn't do what I want.

I need an audio card that can output both TOSLINK via optical or coaxial AND also it must output stereo wave via analog output at the SAME TIME!

This is because my HTPC is powering an a/v receiver (toslink) and also a small set of computer speakers over at my desk (analog for wave audio).

My Delta DiO 2496 will output one or the other, but not both at the same time. Does anyone know of a card that can do this??

THANKS for any help!!

Btw, M-Audio has GOT to be the best company out there. They constantly amaze me with their support.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ditto...

I've researched some options - but I'm not really happy with any as yet. It is quite disappointing that many receivers refuse to enable its analog outs from a digital source. My Arcam states it doesn't have a DSP for zone 2, but I suspect this is the rule rather than the exception.

My Arcam dealer said the reason is an "agreement" attempt to protect media content. The lark however is that one can relatively easily record the original digital source (just rip the CD into lossless! --- Or I bet you can pipe the digital signal to an encoder).

Of course I would like to simply plug a Toslink from my Mac Pro directly into my Arcam receiver and receive the high-quality output from my main zone and the analog out to my zone 2 (I also pipe an analog line out to an old receiver in the basement). Again, the Arcam does not support the analog out for optical signals in.

At the moment, then, I am forced to output analog from the Mac to feed both zones. Unfortunately the Mac does not output both optical and analog simultaneously either. Also unfortunately, I really don't want my Mac doing the A/D conversion to feed analog to the receiver (at least for zone 1).

Probably the best bet for now is something like this one from M-Audio: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

It outputs both Toslink and an analog mini-plug line out at the same time from USB.

In my case the Arcam allows separate sourcing for zone 2 from zone 1 so the M-Audio Transit will allow simultaneous output from both with zone 1 retaining the highest quality.

Anyone else have some ideas or observations?

This is really annoying as I own everything being discussed: The source material and the equipment. So being thwarted in this way feels really frustrating -- I'm being prevented from using my hardware to my best advantage.

I'd be interested to know of other receivers that allow digital in and analog out signals (as well as the digital out too).

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I know for a fact that my X-Fi Extreme Music PCI soundcard can output digital coax and 5.1 if not 7.1 analog at the same time. You need to get a mono adapter but it's no big deal. I love the sound quality of my X-Fi. The drivers are a bit junky but it still does exactly what I want it to do.

·
Registered
182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerj /forum/post/14339843

Ditto...

I've researched some options - but I'm not really happy with any as yet. It is quite disappointing that many receivers refuse to enable its analog outs from a digital source. My Arcam states it doesn't have a DSP for zone 2, but I suspect this is the rule rather than the exception.

My Arcam dealer said the reason is an "agreement" attempt to protect media content. The lark however is that one can relatively easily record the original digital source (just rip the CD into lossless! --- Or I bet you can pipe the digital signal to an encoder).

Of course I would like to simply plug a Toslink from my Mac Pro directly into my Arcam receiver and receive the high-quality output from my main zone and the analog out to my zone 2 (I also pipe an analog line out to an old receiver in the basement). Again, the Arcam does not support the analog out for optical signals in.

At the moment, then, I am forced to output analog from the Mac to feed both zones. Unfortunately the Mac does not output both optical and analog simultaneously either. Also unfortunately, I really don't want my Mac doing the A/D conversion to feed analog to the receiver (at least for zone 1).

Probably the best bet for now is something like this one from M-Audio: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

It outputs both Toslink and an analog mini-plug line out at the same time from USB.

In my case the Arcam allows separate sourcing for zone 2 from zone 1 so the M-Audio Transit will allow simultaneous output from both with zone 1 retaining the highest quality.

Anyone else have some ideas or observations?

This is really annoying as I own everything being discussed: The source material and the equipment. So being thwarted in this way feels really frustrating -- I'm being prevented from using my hardware to my best advantage.

I'd be interested to know of other receivers that allow digital in and analog out signals (as well as the digital out too).

The reason most receivers don't do this is because when receiving say a Dolby Digital 5.1. stream you would need two decoders - one in 5.1 for zone 1 and a 2 channel downmix in zone 2. Otherwise zone 2 would not get any dialogue and Dolby would not license the product. As you can surmise a second DSP plus supporting parts and SW is an expensive option to add.

Yes you could do workarounds for SPDIF sourced material that started life in pure stereo but imagine the complaints you would get from confused customers when such a system then failed to put out a zone 2 signal when receiving a DD 5.1 stream

Since most (all?) DVD players and STBs output stereo downmixed signals in analogue anyway we therefore recommend this route for supporting zone 2.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

·
Registered
65 Posts
John, thanks for clearing that up.

Unfortunately for the Media server (Mac), I only have two channel analog out, not 5.1 analog. So I am struggling to get clean signal from the media server for all my lossless music (CDs -- so I can put the huge CD cabinet in the basement :) When playing from my Oppo DVD player, I do use the 5.1 outs to do as you suggest - though I wished there too I could simply use the toslink output.

As for PC sound cards, I'm betting for audiophile use this M-Audio one would be better:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...2496-main.html

Anyone else use it?

Oh... and I love my Arcam AVR300

In fact I was curious prior to posting before and downloaded the manual for the 350 to see if it had the same limitation and it does.

Perhaps moving to the FMJ separates and a good sound processor would be the route to go.... well reading the manual for the AV9 shows the same limitation seems to apply...

[add edit]

Ultimately it would be nice to have toslink (or HDMI) as possible and cut down on the wire nest. Next time I purchase a receiver (or processor) I'll make sure the zone 2 can access digital.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts