AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new at home theater and just set up this system. Everything works fine except for the sound in concert DVDs. I am not getting sound from rear and back surround speakers when playing these concert DVDs even though they indicate Dolby 5.1 surround. I'm playing the David Gilmour in Concert DVD in a Bravo D1 with optical audio out to a Denon 2803. I have 6.1 Omnisat Micro speakers. On the Gilmour DVD audio set up, I have a choice of stereo or Dolby 5.1 so I select the Dolby. Even tried the 5.1 sound tester on the DVD and all speakers respond. But when I play the DVD sound only comes from front, center and sub, not rear or back speakers. If I select stereo on the DVD set up, then all speakers work. The AVR indicates a digital signal is being received. The Bravo D1 DVD player audio out is set for encoded digital. Can someone tell me where am I going wrong in the set up?

·
Registered
193 Posts
do your movies play in Dolby Digital 5.1 ok? The concert dvds should be setup just like the movies are.

Don't use the EXT. IN.......that's just for dvd-a or sacd playback.

If the movies play in 5.1 ok, then so should the concert. You said concert is Dolby 5.1, instead of dts? I'm asking, because there's also a dts 5.1, which is different from Dolby 5.1. They are competing compression formats. Most of the time, dts is better. If it's dts 5.1, then dvd player may not be set to play dts. Most dvd players ship from the factory with the dts feature turned off. If that's the case, you'll need to go into the dvd player's setup menus, and set the digital output to bitstream (or possibly to raw) for dts and Dolby Digital.

Good luck, and keep us posted as to results............. :)

BTW.........

My friend's 2803 has "7 ch. stereo DVD" showing in his receiver's display, when playing movies and concerts, in DD 5.1 or dts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, movies play perfectly and all surround speakers work. The DVD player's audio out is set on encoded digital. The only other option is analog. One concert DVD is in Dolby Digital 5.1 and another is DTS 5.1. I found that the rear speakers are emitting very low volume sound...guess I just purchased a few concert DVDs that were less than adequately mixed. I expected a more rounded sound. I'll keep experimenting, bound to find the cause some time. Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yeah, if everything else is good, it's GOT to be the disc. Either a bad mix, like you said, or something is wrong with that disc. Can you exchange it? If another of the same discs does the same thing, you'll know it's a bad mix.

I have a movie like that. My movie, "The Hollywood Knights" has the DD 5.1 option in the movie's menu. When you choose that track, the receiver shows that it's DD 5.1, but all the sound comes from the center speaker. I exchanged it, and the second one did the same thing. It's a Sony movie, and there's no way to email them to let them know how much their movie sound mixer SUCKS!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Have you calibrated your system with a set up disk and an SPL meter?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oops - just reread your post and realized you tried that already ....

But FYI my concert DVDs generally have crowd noise only coming from the surrounds, so very often there is little or nothing coming out of them ....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.