AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be connecting a Panasonic 50" plasma monitor to my Comcast HD DVR box via HDMI, and to a DVD player. Then, I'm told I'll need dual audio cord (with red & white plugs) to run from the cable DVR box over to my stereo receiver so the sound will come out of my ceiling speakers.

How much difference will cord cost/quality make on sound output? Do I need to buy a Monster cable? (Amazon only shows 1 & 2 meter Monster cords--the 2 meter, which I assume is only about 6'--is $38). Given the overall investment, I'm not pinching pennies; but, I don't want to overspend if it's not necessary.

Is there a cord of comparable quality which comes about 10' and costs less?

Recommendations appreciated (with specific name of type of cord).

Karen

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by speco2003 /forum/post/0

Are your ceiling speakers part of a surround setup or do you just have stereo?

Also any 10 foot cable with RCA ends on it from Radio Shck, Bluejeans, or Monopricee or Wal Mart will work just fine. You should not pay more than about 5 bucks for both cables.

Thanks for responding, Speco.

No, it's not part of a sound-surround system. They were put in for the stereo only, so I'll just have 2 stereo ceiling speakers to replace those not being purchased with a regular TV set, since I'm just getting the monitor. I'm assuming I have an extra set of in jacks on the back of the receiver, tho I've not checked.

The guy at Comcast today told me the sound is better with 'Monster' cables with the gold conduction going from the DVR box to the receiver. I probably have extras of the type you show from RS around somewhere, so if there's no sound quality difference, I can probably get by without buying any new ones. But, if the sound IS better, I'd spring for a Monster alternative, maybe like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Audio-I...9085423&sr=8-2

Not worth the bother?

Thanks,

Karen

(the techno dweeb ;^)

· Registered
2,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkmickleson /forum/post/0

The guy at Comcast today told me the sound is better with 'Monster' cables with the gold conduction going from the DVR box to the receiver. I probably have extras of the type you show from RS around somewhere, so if there's no sound quality difference, I can probably get by without buying any new ones. But, if the sound IS better, I'd spring for a Monster alternative, maybe like these:

Not worth the bother?

Thanks,

Karen

(the techno dweeb ;^)

Speco is correct, don't pay for overpriced gold laced nitrogen injected BS. However, you may still have to pay more than $5 for a cable

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.