AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find out if you truly need a digital coax cable to get true DD 5.1 over your receiver?? BB sales guy told me tonight that you absolutely do, as a normal composite cable would not be a true digital signal? Anyone weigh in on this?? Any thoughts would be appreciated!! Thanks!

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you use a standard RCA/coax video cable(the yellow kind) it will work identically to the $40 Monster digital coax cable the guy was probably pushing.

That is, if you are using it on your DVD player's digital coax output and to the receiver's digital coax input.

·
Registered
294 Posts
if you have a long run to make, just use rg6 coax and some decent quality connectors from radio shack, or whatever the heck it is these days. Works identical. And, from now on, if you ever need any kind of electronics, do your research here or elsewhere on the internet, and just buy the stuff at BB or any of those stores. Just about everyone I've ever talked to in those stores are morons that have no ideo what they are talking about. There are a few good people out there, but they are quickly being replaced by pimply faced high school kids that are good at selling stuff, but don't have the whiskers to know what they are talking about, so they fake it, and it usually works. Arm yourself with knowledge next time, and you'll be head and shoulders above the sales team. Most times I'm in those stores, and I still like to look around at the stuff they have, I end up overhearing a sales goon trying to push a set of THX certified digital Monster cables on some poor unsuspecting customer, or give some twisted explaination of why the more expensive (read: properly calibrated) TVs look better than the less expensive (read: uncalibrated, or intensionally poorly calibrated) TVs and end up jumping in to lend a hand. This really bothers the sales staff, but I have gotten so many thank yous from the customers they were trying to help that I really enjoy doing it. Wonder how long before I get banned?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speco2003
Really how do those slobs at BB and CC sleep at night? They are idiots and con men to the highest degree.
Whoa whoa, hey now, before you name call just remember buisness is buisness anyone can politely boycott any brand. Now whether or not the salesman (or any to that matter) knows that a decent video cable will give DD 5.1, or DTS will then show whether or not he is an idiot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.