AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done the searches and can't seem to find the right answer.

I'm interested in getting audio only from an office to a living room with the best quality possible, and am unable to run the wires.

Most of the 900Mhz or 2.4Ghz wireless solutions seem to aim at A/V distribution. And the ones that do specialize in audio (like the US Robotics), seem to be pretty flawed and succeptable to interference. What are people's thoughts on some of the better devices out there?

Additionally, are there solutions for running audio over a normal coax cable run, similar to the way that you can with a Leapfrog phoneline adapter? I can't seem to find any info, but it seems it would make sense. Hopefully there's something that would work without interfering with cable TV, HD, or broadband.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
27,309 Posts
If you are building or going to build, hardwire is easy, cheap and reliable. It will always be able to be utilized. Even if you are not building and have to retrofit, this would be my advice.

Relying on wireless solutions at this early stage I think is a poor choice. heck, my wireless internet interferes with my wireless phones. It is a major pain.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You did not describe what type of audio you wish to transmit.

If it is just from a computer (meaning MP3's, WMA. etc) there are a number of wireless choices that utilize standard networking technology.

If you want to get any legacy devices (AM/FM, CD/TV) it is a little more costly as the audio needs to be packetized first before it can be sent over wireless in TCP/IP (internet networking) format).

What is it you are trying to do?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thebland- I'm not building. But yes, if I were, I would agree that wiring would be ideal.

Buzz- Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm trying to get 2 different audio sources into the living room. The first would be mp3 stuff, which could be accomplished by one of the dozens of streamers out there (linksys, prismq, autdiotron, etc..). That's not the part that is confusing me. The second is getting a non-computer audio feed over. Basically, it's a DJ/turntable setup that I want to get the sound from into a living room. So ideally, it would be feeding my PC and my tables into a preamp, then getting the audio out from that, into the other room.

thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry to 'bump' this, but does anyone have any info?

Nothing better than 900, 2.4Ghz A/V gear mentioned? Something better? Coax can work? Coax can't work?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
OK, how much money are you willing to spend, how good does the analog have to be, and when do you need to do this?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Nick -

There are simple RCA to COAX convertors that will allow you to run audio over a point to point COAX cable (not via splitters intermixed with your normal video signals). I don't think this is what you are looking for but I mention it just in case.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NickChicago
sorry to 'bump' this, but does anyone have any info?

Nothing better than 900, 2.4Ghz A/V gear mentioned? Something better? Coax can work? Coax can't work?
'nuther way to skin the cat. Modulate then demodulate. Try something like this Cheap Modulator on one end and this Demodulator on the other end. I have modulated security cameras and other equipment and I don't see why it wouldn't work with audio only. Also I have not used the demodulator before so this is all purely a suggestion not a recommendation of any type.

EDIT: The demodulator is a MONO device don't know if the will work for you.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Buzz- I'd be willing to spend up to $250 or so, but would obviously prefer cheaper. The analog sound quality would hopefully be fairly good. Not necessarily perfect, audiophile or optical quality, but definitely better than an FM modulator style sound or something that introduced lots of static or pops. I am in no real hurry per say and can wait, but the sooner the better.

eq_shadimar- Thanks for the advice. So, let me undersand this correctly, as I've never used modulators before. You're saying that I use the modulator to run my audio into. That converts the signal via coax, to a certain TV channel which I then use the demodulator to 'unconvert' at the other end? Sounds plausible. It's a pricey solution, but if it is the only one, I'd consider it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Nick -

Yes that is correct. Remember that any cable ready tv could also act as a demoulator then you can pipe the audio out (if your tv is so equiped) into a receiver/amp. Basically all a modulator does it combine the A/V signals and inject them into a coax cable on a specifc channel. If you tune a TV hooked to that COAX cable to the channel you will get what is being sent. Again I don't know about the quality of the sound as I have only used them for video camera. Also read the various FAQ's there to find out some common issues.

yet 'nuther thought how about an FM modulator. They use them in cars etc to hook up MP3 players and stuff. I don't know about the signal strength and it would require you to have a FM receiver at the other end but they are only $50 or so.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thebland
heck, my wireless internet interferes with my wireless phones. It is a major pain.
If you are using 11b or 11g you should consider a 900 MHz or 5.8 GHz cordless phone.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I think you'd be better off with a producct like the Barix Instreamer and serve all of your remote music over TCPIP. 900mhz is really noisy, using a tv modulator over coax will be expensive for stereo (and the closest you'll get is MTS, which by my definition isn't stereo anyway). Using a stereo FM modulator is actually another good idea, good sounding tuners are readily available. I have used a product from Broadcast Vision in an Aerobics studio with good results.

jcmitch

http://www.barix.com/en/datasheets/P...amer%20V11.pdf

http://www.broadcastvision.com/

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That Instreamer looks very promising.

I guess the option with it would be to send it wirelessly (802.11b or g) and then receive with an Exstreamer.

The other option I'm looking at is just running the signal into my PC, using something like Shoutcast, and then using one of the media server (Prismiq) type devices that can receive that stream.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.