AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I recently bought a LG 55LH40 and I'm having issues with my audio dropping when changing channels on my Rogers HD PVR (8300HD).

Having read through some posts in the forum, I notice that others are having problems with random audio drop outs, the problem I have isn't random, it's consistent. Everytime I change the channel on my PVR the audio drops.

My PVR is connected to the TV using a HDMI cable, and then using the TV's optical audio out, I have connected the TV to my receiver.

The sound is great and I get 5.1 through my receiver (as the TV does a 5.1 pass-through), the problem comes when I change the channel on my PVR, this causes the audio to drop for almost 90 seconds.

If I use the TV remote control and change the TV input from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 and then come back to HDMI 1 the sound is back.

I tried connecting the PVR directly to my receiver using the optical out and then I have no issues when changing channels.

Once I have sound if I don't change the channel, then the sound does not drop. I also have a PS3 connected via HDMI and have no issues with the sound dropping.

So it looks like the issue is with the optical out of the LG and/or the audio through the HDMI of the Rogers HD PVR (8300HD).

I spoke with LG customer support, and they said I should have the TV replaced. I spoke with Rogers, and they said they can send me a new HD PVR.

Has anybody else had this issue or know of a resolution or suggestions?

Thanks!

Bobby

· Registered
2,615 Posts
"I tried connecting the PVR directly to my receiver using the optical out and then I have no issues when changing channels."

If the above connection works and the sound is good, why don't you just leave it connected this way.

Audio out from the tv's optical used to be stereo only when using a cable box. Your tv may have a first generation optical 5.1 out that is not ready for prime time. So just use the optical from your cable box directly to your receiver. Leave the HDMI into your tv for video, and just change the input on your receiver as necessary.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I think you're right and I'll most probably have to leave the PVR connected directly to my receiver using the optical out.

My main issue is that my receiver only has 1 optical in, which is a pain as I would like to connect my PVR, PS3 and XBox 360. Using the TV's optical out would mean I wouldn't have to physically switch the cables around.

I could probably just fork out $60 for an optical switch. Connect the PVR, PS3 and XBox to the optical switch and then connect the optical switch to the receiver.

I was just hoping the TV could do what it said and output the 5.1 without dropping audio.

Rogers are going to deliver the new PVR tonight, I'll see how that goes, and if it doesn't work then I'll get Future Shop to replace the TV as well... and if that doesn't work I'll buy the optical switch.

If anybody else has had a similar issue, please let me know. When I called LG customer support, they said that this issue wasn't in their knowledge base and that's why they suggested that I should have the TV replaced.

Bobby

· Registered
8 Posts
Monoprice.com has a 3-to-1 passive optical switch (part number 2946) for $5.76 + shipping. I have one on my surround sound receiver to expand its optical inputs and it works great.

I think the previous poster was correct in that optical passthrough from the TV is not perfect.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rogers sent a technician and he did some tests and as expected there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the HD PVR.

I contacted LG again and the customer support rep asked about my setup and said that if you are using a cable box, then you shouldn't use the optical output of the tv, you should use the optical out from the cable box and connect it directly to the receiver.

The only time they recommend using the optical output of the tv is when you do not have a cable box and your tv feed is connected directly to the tv using coax.

Sounds a little bit dodgy if you ask me... the firmware is also upto date.

I've ordered the optical switch from monoprice, and then I won't need to use the optical output of the tv.

I'm still pondering whether or not I should get a replacement tv just to confirm what the LG rep said... but now I've got my tv setup and looking good, I don't know if it's worth it.

Any thoughts?

· Registered
220 Posts
I would... I had noticed a few problems with my Vizio XVT42" and ignored them because I had everything setup the way I wanted. Sure enough less than two months later it started having problems. Called Vizio tech support and they were straight forward with me, said the panel was going out (an issue they were aware of) and if I could to take it back to costco and exchange.

So I definitely would take it back it there is a "problem" just to be on the safe side.

· Registered
2,615 Posts
I would not take it back because until this year no HD tv could pass the 5.1 signal thru the tv's optical out, from a cable box, at all. So you are using a beta optical out system. And tho the next tv you get may work at first, probably over time the sound will start to skip again. And the direct cable box to receiver is a direct connection and would work better any way. Each time the signal is passed thru another thing, possibilities for problems arise, and passing sound thru a beta sound set up would not be my choice.

And most of all, the tv is for watching. And if you are a lucky buyer, and got the HD tv without video problems, you should be very satisfied and keep it. Who knows what surprises the next one will bring.

My opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.