AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the shopping for new speakers and as I am not much of an audiophile, I really don't know what I'm looking for. Have sampled B&W 802 Nautilus and 802 Diamonds and I like them both, well, I loved them both. Have auditioned Sonus Faber Liuto towers and I like the sound as well. I have no definite budget as I am in no rush but would love to hear more higher end speakers before finally deciding on what to buy (before I hit 40 mid 2011). At the time I bought my present speakers, the Infinity Primus 360, they really are well worth the price and I still do love the way they sound. I just think I deserve something more of the higher end now that will last me years, as did my present speakers. Wondering which truly are worth what their msrp's are. B&Ws are pretty pricy but are they worth it? I still can't imagine anybody other than celebrities and multi millionaires would buy speakers costing in the 100's of thousands although I have been looking in the gallery and seen members using thousands of dollars worth of speakers for their rear surrounds.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
I think as high-end speakers go, yes the B&W 800 series are worth their asking price, but as with most things "high-end", you pay for the prestige, the exclusivity, and really, you pay a lot for that immaculately built cabinet, just as you would for fine furniture. More expensive doesn't always = better. Theoretically, you could put the best drivers, and crossovers in a well-built but modest cabinet and it wouldn't cost a great deal, but unfortunately, rarely can you separate the two, as speaker companies reserve their best designs for those that go in the very pretty cabinets.

If you want a good performance to value ratio, consider buying the top of the line speakers from companies that started off as "value" brands, like Paradigm, PSB, and NHT. I think the Paradigm Signature speakers can go toe to toe with B&W (personally I think they are better), and they are 2/3rds the price.

Or, go used, ala www.audiogon.com and let the first owner take the hit on the depreciation.

Personally, I wan't my speakers to look as good as they sound, and I'll pay a premium for that, but if sound quality is the only thing important, you don't necessarily need to.

·
Banned
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge /forum/post/19543511

I think as high-end speakers go, yes the B&W 800 series are worth their asking price, but as with most things "high-end", you pay for the prestige, the exclusivity, and really, you pay a lot for that immaculately built cabinet, just as you would for fine furniture. More expensive doesn't always = better. Theoretically, you could put the best drivers, and crossovers in a well-built but modest cabinet and it wouldn't cost a great deal, but unfortunately, rarely can you separate the two, as speaker companies reserve their best designs for those that go in the very pretty cabinets.

If you want a good performance to value ratio, consider buying the top of the line speakers from companies that started off as "value" brands, like Paradigm, PSB, and NHT. I think the Paradigm Signature speakers can go toe to toe with B&W (personally I think they are better), and they are 2/3rds the price.

Or, go used, ala www.audiogon.com and let the first owner take the hit on the depreciation.

Personally, I wan't my speakers to look as good as they sound, and I'll pay a premium for that, but if sound quality is the only thing important, you don't necessarily need to.

I auditioned, slightly, Paradigm signature 8's earlier as well. Tall and robust. Wasn't really able to audition it well. Just a few tracks of Deodato. Without hearing it, it looks like it wants to ROCK, like it wants you to play AC/DC on it. Would probably go back and listen to it again. I was able to audition Sonus Faber Liuto and its around three thousand dollars cheaper than the signature 8's (as there was supposedly a sale on the Sonus Faber) and classier looking and it sounds really good, I kinda like the way it sounds than the B&W 804D that I slightly was able to audition as well. I'm with you though, performance first and then looks.

·
Banned
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hifisponge. I saw your ever changing home theater set up and I am quite honored that you even respond to my thread. Please do suggest and if you wish to throw away any of your speakers, please do PM me.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

salk veracity's are worth a look (click link in sig for pics of mine)...

not sure where you are located, but unless you are out in the hinterlands somewhere, you should be able to find an owner willing to demo some for you...

you've got a nice budget to work with... there's quite a few options available...

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge /forum/post/19543511

Its amazing what a finish can cost someone. I know that with all my builds if I attempt to do a great finish (key word "Attempt") its going to cost more then the drivers/XO and box build.

I wish companies offered a raw version of there speaker with little costs in the finish/box build itself.

btw, Good Advice!

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Have sampled B&W 802 Nautilus and 802 Diamonds and I like them both, well, I loved them both.

You could spend a life time auditioning speakers thinking you might have missed one choice that is better then the rest.

I think if you have found something you love you need to get them in your house and enjoy. IMO the 802Ds are stunning speakers!

Do not waste too much time exhausting yourself over the many, many options instead buy and enjoy

Although,

Outside of the standard Box design of the B&W you might want to try and find open baffle designs or electrostatic designs. I know the High priced Quads sounded pretty impressive at a demo I had 6 months ago, those and open baffle gives better control on the directivity and people like Linkwitz believe that is the best way to present music in room.

·
Banned
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/19543973

You could spend a life time auditioning speakers thinking you might have missed one choice that is better then the rest.

I think if you have found something you love you need to get them in your house and enjoy. IMO the 802Ds are stunning speakers!

Do not waste too much time exhausting yourself over the many, many options instead buy and enjoy

Although,

Outside of the standard Box design of the B&W you might want to try and find open baffle designs or electrostatic designs. I know the High priced Quads sounded pretty impressive at a demo I had 6 months ago, those and open baffle gives better control on the directivity and people like Linkwitz believe that is the best way to present music in room.

Oh, i forgot to say that those will be too much of an overkill for my listening area which is around 13 x 13 (half of our gameroom). Those that you have in your gallery are nice. Costs a fortune though. I'll research about your speakers as I am about to leave work and go home and sleep. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!!!! Thanks penngray, I remember your username as you have answered some of my questions before, maybe here or in the amp section of this messageboard.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
no worries, foot print is always important. The speakers do have to fit in the room.

Really, if you love the 802Ds and they fit your budget then just buy and enjoy! I love their looks so much that Im DIYing kind of the same look.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds /forum/post/19544066

Oh, i forgot to say that those will be too much of an overkill for my listening area which is around 13 x 13 (half of our gameroom).

I think that 802's are too large for your place. For large speakers you need enough space to sound right.

I listened to Paradigm Signature series, and did not like them. I recommend to look at Thiel. CS3.7 model is very good sounding. You may also try CS2.4, but for my taste it needs a help of good sub.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/19543968

.........I wish companies offered a raw version of there speaker with little costs in the finish/box build itself......

I too feel this way.

Within the darkened atmosphere of a HT, behind an AT screen, or just an environment whereby one has no aesthetic concerns over speaker appearance, I'd certainly appreciate more performance only efforts from the major players in HT speaker mfg.

One problem facing them is the apparent performance is inextricably tied to visual cues

Example? Ever seen the cabinet ports on Wilson's offerings? Machined from solid billet aluminium....I'm sure the design team has their reasons for this, but I'm guessing the visual aesthetic cool factor of the ports machined in this manner is the real reason.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've Listened to Paradigm S8's, 802N, 803D and Revel F52's.

Ended up with the S8's the bass sounded and felt very accurate, The Revel F52's were nice but the tweeter was AL and you could hear a difference beween it and the B&W's just didnt feel as "open". B&W's felt really.. boring, and they do have a bit of coloration in the sound. The freq response shows it too.

Diamond/BE tweeters aren't for everyone though, But any of these speakers is a very fine speaker regardless of what you choose.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/19543973

Although,

I strongly agree with auditioning different types, if the OP lives somewhere with lots of options auditioning can be a lot of fun, if not you can sure do worse than B&W's 800 series.

I'd recommend listening to Martin Logan, Magnepan, Harbeth, Aerial, and Avalon Acoustics in addition to the usual suspects.

In that size room I'd consider bookshelf 2.1 vs. towers.

Penn, what's a good choice for open baffle?

Ron

·
Registered
7,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds /forum/post/19543635

hifisponge. I saw your ever changing home theater set up and I am quite honored that you even respond to my thread. Please do suggest and if you wish to throw away any of your speakers, please do PM me.

Ha, I'm just an average guy with an above average interest (obsession) with audio. I don't really have any further suggestions for you, as value really "lies in the eye of the beholder". Truth is, even though I have bought a number of high-end speakers, I really think that speaker prices have gotten out of hand. I don't think on any level that $100K+ is justifiable for a speaker, but if you want great build, style, and sound quality, be prepared to pay between $8K and $15K for a set of floorstanders, or about alf that for monitors.

I would suggest monitors + subwoofer for your small listening area. You don't need the output of a large speaker, and using a sub gives you flexibility to tune the bass to your space.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs /forum/post/19545528

I strongly agree with auditioning different types, if the OP lives somewhere with lots of options auditioning can be a lot of fun, if not you can sure do worse than B&W's 800 series.

I'd recommend listening to Martin Logan, Magnepan, Harbeth, Aerial, and Avalon Acoustics in addition to the usual suspects.

In that size room I'd consider bookshelf 2.1 vs. towers.

Penn, what's a good choice for open baffle?

Ron

Open Baffle designs are hard to find, not very common to see advertising about them. Which is shocking considering most who have built speakers consider Open Baffles a premium design for music.

I only have links to custom designs.

http://www.musicanddesign.com/products.html

or Linkwitz Orion
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/

·
Registered
4,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/19545627

Open Baffle designs are hard to find, not very common to see advertising about them. Which is shocking considering most who have built speakers consider Open Baffles a premium design for music.

I only have links to custom designs.

http://www.musicanddesign.com/products.html

or Linkwitz Orion
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/

I believe Linkwitz is redesigning/voicing the Orion, no?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts