Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Are there any good equalizers out there to consider?

I plan to incorporate an equalizer in my audio setup. I remember quite a while ago I wanted to buy the Technics SH-GE90... I just realized it's not manufactured anymore and there were no upgrades done to it, back then I really liked the way the bands were individually displayed, it had a big led display with spectrum analizer, osciloscope and stuff. Is something like that available on the market today?

Appreciate it,

Ovidiu O

·
Registered
466 Posts
I want to know this too. I recently built and incorporated a Home Theater PC (HTPC) into my setup and realized that pumping the audio from my DirecTivo through my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 card then into my surround sound system sounded MUCH better than going directly from the TiVo to the amp and speakers. The amp's treble/bass controls are so limiting.

I had no idea that my speakers could put out so much sparkle (high frequencies) until I ran the signal through my HTPC first. So I want to incorporate an Equalizer. I've seen the AudioSource EQ 200 for around $130. Can anyone else recommend a good EQ?

Apparently equalizers are a dying breed these days. That's too bad. There's much more to fine tuning than just bass & treble.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
The AudioControl Bijou is a very high quality unit, but is not cheap; close to $1000, IIRC.

They also have a lower end model called the Rialto.

If memory serves Rane also makes a HT EQ. These are analog products.

There are also digital EQ's available, but I do not have any info on those.

BGL

·
Registered
466 Posts
Thanks. I checked out the AudioControl EQ's (including the Rialto). Waymore than I way to spend which is $200 or less. Wil probably going with something cheap yet effective like an AudioSource EQ-200 ($130).

·
Registered
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BGLeduc
Be aware that the AudioSource unit is just 2 channel.

If you have 5.1, you would need three of those, plus the means to connect them, which a normal A/V Receiver will lack.

BGL
My surround system is 2-channel (Dolby Pro-Logic). If I ever upgrade to 5.1, then I'll get a better EQ. I just need a cheap way to tailor the sound. I really had no idea that my system could put out higher highs until I hooked-up my HTPC (with Audigy 2 sound card) up to it. :)

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Quote:
My surround system is 2-channel (Dolby Pro-Logic). If I ever upgrade to 5.1, then I'll get a better EQ. I just need a cheap way to tailor the sound. I really had no idea that my system could put out higher highs until I hooked-up my HTPC (with Audigy 2 sound card) up to it.
OK, no problem, but one more caution....

You can place your 2CH EQ in a tape loop, but be aware that Pro Logic decoding relies on very specific level and phase relationships between the L/R channels.

Putting anything in the signal path can mess up decoding if those relationships change. Whether or not that is audible or not is up to you to determine, just be aware that it may change what you eventually hear WRT decoding, and perhaps not in a good way.

Putting that aside, does your receiver allow use of tone controls when in PL mode? My receiver does allow them on the L/R channel, although I know that some receivers do not.

BGL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.