AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am considering replacing my main home pc (which i use for all music and tv/video consumption) with a pc in which i cannot add a sound card. it'll only have hdmi and usb3 outputs. i am concerned about what to do with the audio past of the setup to not lose any of the functionality i have now.

price is not a major issue.

current setup has dvd player and wmc extender (ie xbox360) connected by hdmi to tv, tv audio out to pc sound card input (optical cable), audio out of pc soundcard (optical cable) to 5.1 speaker system (logitech z-5500). sound source switched in the computer. for video there is a dvi connection to a 27" monitor and an hdmi connection to the tv (tv speakers are off) which is used as second monitor unless using with xbox360 or dvd player. lastly network connection to Ceton infinitv6eth.

i've been looking at hmdi audio splitters and usb sound adaptors but i'm not sure i can duplicate (or improve on) the current setup.

any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
>So you been controlling ALL your audio with the PC WITHOUT >the assistance of an external Receiver/Control Amp? If so, I have >no input whatsoever.

indeed i have

regarding the idea of an avr...i've considered it but i would lose significant flexibility if i did that. i can now watch live television or a dvd on the tv (1) - watch something else on the pc monitor (2) eg either live television or a dvd or anything from the internet or anything stored on my pc and switch the audio back and forth between (1) and (2) whenever i wish with one keystroke. with an avr i couldn't do that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what i've come up with ie my current plan unless i come up with something better is to run the pc hdmi output to an hdmi audio splitter (eg j-tech jtdat5ch) with hdmi from there to thw monitor. the dvd player and xbox360 still get connected directly to the tv by hdmi. the optical audio out from the tv and the optical audio out from the splitter go into a toslink switch with its output to the speaker system. then i will be switching sound input a the toslink switcher instead of with a keystroke but i should get the same function.

·
Registered
117 Posts
what i've come up with ie my current plan unless i come up with something better is to run the pc hdmi output to an hdmi audio splitter (eg j-tech jtdat5ch) with hdmi from there to thw monitor. the dvd player and xbox360 still get connected directly to the tv by hdmi. the optical audio out from the tv and the optical audio out from the splitter go into a toslink switch with its output to the speaker system. then i will be switching sound input a the toslink switcher instead of with a keystroke but i should get the same function.
Just buy a receiver that has multiple hdmi ins, Build a cheap media pc like this 1 for like 500 to 600 bux and hook it up to your avr and put in your stand with your receiver and everything. Easy to do. Pretty versatile on the cheap.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i don't think that gives me what i want, use the tv as a second monitor or watch two videos at the same time with switching the sound back and forth easily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts