AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i see a lot of talk about video here but almost none about audio formats. what do you use? i personally use mp3 encoded with lame with the "--preset standard -Z" option which results in ~190kbps.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Although I use both Monkey's audio and MP3. Monkey's audio at home and MP3 on the on the iPod.

If the announcements by Apple today are what everybody expects I should start using AAC shortly.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
WMA lossless.

Obviously it's lossless so I can backup my CD's in case I loose one, torch one, or someone decides to lift one. Better media player support than ape. Roughly the same file size as ape (half the size of wav files). I've got slow cd/dvd drives so I can convert to wma as fast as my drive can read the files.

Al

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is there a wma lossless plugin for winamp2?

maybe i'll keep 2 sets of files. lossless for desktop listening and mp3 for my laptop and mp3 player.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I only use Monkeys Audio. The main reason I is for tagging. Otherwise I would use no compression. I just hate the limited tagging of wav files. And, what the hell, I'll take the extra 33% of hard drive space that Monkey gives me.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Same reasons for me, as for Greg. I'm not aware of any way of making a database, storing info about all songs/albums/artists without the tagging.

Also, I don't see a reason NOT to compress lossless. It's like saying, "Why use WinRAR/WinZIP?"

·
Registered
79 Posts
I use both WMA9 Lossless and MP3 now.

I use WMA9 Lossless for my HTPC and I use MP3 for my Nomad Jukebox 3 on the --alt-preset standard setting in lame.

I'm having problems with getting the WM9 command line encoder to work on a folder of files however and that is really annoying me at this point since the batch converter that I have tags in the wrong bitrate entirely which is also annoying.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Well, all iPods are AAC compatible now to allow compatibility with Apple's new music service. So, count a vote for me under AAC.

This effectively doubles the capacity of my iPod for free!!!

The music service sounds good too. 99 cents a song with unlimited burning and sharing with iPods.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I agree totally that we no longer need to have lossy audio on our computers. Drives are so much cheaper, and with USB/Firewire drives becoming much more affordable, why give up the quality? There is no compressed format that will compare to lossy.

But for Nomad's, MP3 is the way to go. Many swear by WMA, and I have not doubt it is more effiecient, but I can get just about every CD I own or would WANT to own on a Nomad 40gig. In fact, having that much music can make navigation a real chore.

And... don't forget... hard to find WMA on Kazaa.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey the apple music service isn't available for windows. that sucks. a windows version is planed for later this year.

apple isn't going cheap on the quality either. 128kbps.

even though i have plenty of room to store my music in a lossless format, compatibility is the main issue for me.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Ye110,

Its AAC 128, which should be equivalent to MP3 256. Supposedly the AACs were encoded from the original masters and not from CDs, for enhanced quality.

I'll report after some testing...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah i just read that it was 128kbps which isn't exactly 256kbps mp3. more like 170kbps. but it's i'm guessing it's vbr which would certainly make it better than 99.9% of the songs that get swaped over kazaa.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ended up choosing Ogg Vorbis to rip my collection of 300+ CDs. It seemed to get better quality than MP3 for the same size file, and I like the idea of using an open standard which is fairly well supported on both Linux and Windows.

It sounds like some of the new Microsoft codecs are technically superior choices (both audio and video), but I have a problem commiting to something that has such a stranglehold on licensing for applications that can process it's content.

Maybe I'm wrong, is WMA or the new media player content playable on any OS besides windows?

gh

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ye110man
wow i was expecting mp3 to be the most popular.
I think we're a bit more sophisticated crowd than average.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ye110man

hey the apple music service isn't available for windows. that sucks. a windows version is planed for later this year.

apple isn't going cheap on the quality either. 128kbps.

Anything but lossless is unacceptable to me. I would be all over Apple's new service if they offered a lossless format as an option.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
There will be an iTunes for PC coming out late this year according to an Interview with Steve Jobs on Fortune.com.

I look forward to this service taking off. It'll augment my collection well as I plan on trying to move to SACD/DVDA for "physical" purchases and downloads for songs that aren't necesarily the best format for High Rez.

Hey I'd love to see Apple eventually start offering Multichannel AAC files this would give the service a leg up on MP3 which will never be multichannel I believe.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gharveybob
IMaybe I'm wrong, is WMA or the new media player content playable on any OS besides windows?
works on linux using the windows dll's.

·
Registered
570 Posts
My problem is that I already have a lot of music in MP3, and I am not going to re-encode and reborrow, beg and well, whatever to get lossless audio.

Plus, I have a car player, Panasonic SV-SD80 portable player, Rio Volt CD-MP3 player for the office, etc., and they all require MP3...

Oh well, looks like no change for me, probably forever. Intertia is a powerful thing.

RDaneel

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.