AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people, im in the process of creating a dedicated ht room, im designing it all in 3d right now, and need urgent help with the audio setup

Basically i've created a backing wall with a hole cut out on it to match the size of my screen, which is moved ever so slightly back, so masking can occur. Now i was thinking of doing the same for the mains/center speaker, so they get slotted into place and are flush with the backing wall. Would this affect the sound coming from them in any way?,i dont think so, but just want to be certain.

Also, how do you guys hide your speakers in a dedicated ht room???

cheeers

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Unless the speakers are designed to be built into a wall - don't do it. It can drastically change their characteristics. If you MUST, at least make sure the wall is treated with absorbtion to help minimize the effect.

To hide them, most people build a false wall that is a few feet forward of the real wall. The false wall is simply cloth stretched over a stud wall skeleton. Speakers sit behind the false wall and in front of the real wall.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godisi
Also, how do you guys hide your speakers in a dedicated ht room???

cheeers

I would echo bpape's answer about the inwall speakers. They do make speakers for this application.

In addition to concealing front speakers behind the false wall, you may also consider hiding the surrounds within columns.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
could you possibly give me pictures of this application at work, i am kind of getting it, but just want to confirm, cheers.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can someone please show me how they designed their front stage that hides their two mains/center and subwoofer behind the screen, like a cross section,just so i get a better understanding.

I always thought the two mains and the center wouldnt be affected by an inwall type approach but i guess im wrong.

please do help, im designing now.....

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for that, how does this look for a subframe front stage?

one shows the frame work, whilst the other shows my initial staging plans, thoughs please?

btw as you can see on the subframe picture, the speakers are placed slightly behind the frame, what material can i use to totally black out the framework, and speakers, without blocking off sound, this is the idea right???or would it be best to gib the framework, and cut holdes for the speakers?bad idea?

please help

·
Registered
641 Posts
You may wish to consider mounting the center above the screen rather than below. The merits of this can be found in a quick search. The most obvious reason is that if you have more than one row of seating (or plan on it in the future) your first row (and the people occupying it) interfear with the sound coming from the center channel.

Just a though.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the input, ill take that into consideration. Heres an updated picture, i was wondering if framing the sceen in so deep would allow for ambient light to be let into that zone, is this correct or not?

My cieling is not that high, so a riser isnt necessary. the behind of the mains/center channel are hollow, is that alright for sound purposes?

Last question, how do i know how low from the cieling my pj has to be to frame my screen???....

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I'm sorry that it's been a few days. Your shadowbox looks good to me. Looks like you've already ensured that the whole screen can be seen if the viewer isn't centered. Let us know how it works out for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.