AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've mentioned the lowered audio on DVD-R in a previous thread. Someone had indicated that this is normal and that the E80H manual makes mention of it. I've searched through it and found no indication that this should be normal. Additionally, possibly due to having to turn the volume up to compensate, there is a hissing/static sound in the backround. I find it hard t believe that if this is normal, no other posters have been commenting about it. It's pretty annoying and I'm hoping that there is a fix that I can incorperate into my setup. Any ideas??

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I have an E30, and have not run into this. You are correct in assuming that it is not normal. If your AV receiver or TV set sees a low audio level at the input, turning up the volume will cause what you are reporting. That is normal, but only for abnormally low input volume.

The best thing to do is to monitor through the DVDR when beginning a recording, as this will give you the true audio level. Its easy to monitor the source by mistake and assume the level going in is correct, but unless you listen to the audio as it loops through the DVDR, you can't be sure.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I'm often watching what I record, I was pretty sure that it wasn't the source. As I often edit TV shows on the drive prior to burning, I was also pretty sure that it wasn't the hard drive recording. It then occurred to me last night after I read your reply, that I almost never actually watch the DVD-r's on the E80H. I remember reading a suggestion (and agreeing with it) that if I have another DVD player, I should use it for playback and hopefully extend the life of the E80H. That's when I also remembered that I have that player's (sony DVP NS755V) audio controls set to night time surround mode.

As soon as I set it back to standard, the sound shot back up to normal. I should have realized. I had it set that way because I have a cranky neighbor who can hear a pin drop past 10pm. Thanks for telling me info that got me on the right track of thinking. It's nice to have a solvable problem.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I am glad that was the problem. I was getting scared that dvd-r discs were all going to ahve that problem.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be terrible if that was normal. Especially for all those who've spent bug bucks in high end audio equipment. It was a quick fix once I saw what I had done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.