AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know much about audio but I'm getting tired of using my HDTV's speakers. I have to have the audio up nearly all the way and still have trouble hearing some parts at times so I would like something with a kick. I don't need anything that comes with a Blu-ray/dvd player or whatnot. Just need audio.

I was in Best Buy yesterday and listened to a few things and I happened to enjoy the sound of the Denon DHT-590BA. This is about $500 but I haven't been able to really find any reviews online for it. I did find the DHT-589BA, though, and it appears to have the same BA speakers with a lesser receiver and they are only $300ish. For an audio newb like me, would I get much benefit getting the more expensive 590BA that likely comes with features that are in another language and I may not ever use? Should I stay away from these models altogether and go with something else?

I would rather not blow half a grand on a bad choice so any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Both of those receivers have some good Audyssey features. The most obvious difference looks like the 589 has speaker terminals for 7.1 and no HD audio support - the 590 has speaker terminals for 5.1 but does support HD audio. These differences may or may not be important but I think either one is a good choice for the price.

What are you using this for? How often do you listen to music or watch TV or movies? What other things (cable box, DVD player, Blu-ray player, etc...) will you connect?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickysmits /forum/post/17013830

Both of those receivers have some good Audyssey features. The most obvious difference looks like the 589 has speaker terminals for 7.1 and no HD audio support - the 590 has speaker terminals for 5.1 but does support HD audio. These differences may or may not be important but I think either one is a good choice for the price.

What are you using this for? How often do you listen to music or watch TV or movies? What other things (cable box, DVD player, Blu-ray player, etc...) will you connect?

Thanks for the reply!

I am using it for an LG Blu-ray, Movies, basic TV (sports mainly), Wii (sounds good enough though so not important to be hooked up through the receiver) and likely a Mac Mini once they're updated and decide to make that purchase. HD audio sounds like something I'd definitely want with Blu-ray, right? I doubt I'll ever really care to have 7.1.

I watch maybe a movie or two per week but it will definitely be used a lot with football season coming up and once some of my favorite shows are back on TV.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Go for the 590 since it's the latest thing and the price difference doesn't look to be too much from where I sit. Maybe you can find a 10% off coupon for best buy but I'm not sure if it applies to audio or Magnolia stuff. The HD audio over HDMI will make it more convenient to connect things to the receiver. Just make sure three HDMI inputs is all you'll need, it sounds like it's enough.

For home theater and TV those speakers should be fine. I can't think of anything better at that price without going through a painful speaker/receiver decision process and it sounds like you've heard it and like it.

The Audyssey features are where it's at with this package. I'm a recent convert and I really like Audyssey now. Dynamic volume helps to tame the loud adverts, MutiEQ is a good room correction feature, and DynamicEQ works great for watching movies at low volume.

Here's a 10% off coupon for Best Buy, it looks like it will work: http://a2.slickdeals.net/attachment....1&d=1240948012

Don't fall into the trap of paying too much for cables at Best Buy though, get them from Monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/products/de...t.asp?c_id=102

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I wasn't going to buy it from Best Buy as a $550 price tag + tax would have been too much but I found it through a reseller online for ~$440 after shipping.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
That's a very good price, I think you'll be happy. I'm guessing you got it from Beach Audio or someplace like that? Keep in mind that the manufacturer warranty isn't valid if it isn't purchased from one of these places: http://www.usa.denon.com/OnlineETailers.asp

No big worries though, if it were me I might take the risk as well. Just make sure to put it through the paces so you can deal with any problems quickly.....that's assuming you bought it from an unauthorized dealer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, apparently I did. I got it from Consumer Depot. That's a bit frustrating. Why would wholesalers even have stock in the stuff if Denon doesn't honor their warranty by selling it to them?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I see the phrase "drop ship" and the description reads "D-LINK BUSINESS PRODUCTS SOLUTIONS DENON AV RECEIVER W 5.1 BA SPEAKER PKG HM THEATR" - not sure what D-Link has to do with it... All I can say is I wouldn't trust my money with them since they not ultimately responsible for the product, the drop shipper is (whoever that is). The whole thing just looks too shady.

With the 10% off coupon (if it works) Best Buy is $100 more but you're able to walk it back for a refund if you don't like it within 30 days and the manufacturer's 2 year warranty is valid. Other Denon dealers look like they're at the same price so BB isn't looking too bad.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I canceled that order and made an order through electronics expo. Was the same price as Best Buy but I found a 20% coupon for receivers that worked and I won't be charged tax so it ended up being only about $50 more than the consumer depot after shipping.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickysmits /forum/post/17016191

Good decision, $50 is worth the warranty and the piece of mind. I ordered a Yamaha receiver from them a few years ago and everything was as promised. Enjoy!

I plan to! Thanks again for all of your help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.