AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just found these boards, they seem great!

Anyway onto my question, I'm looking at building a HTPC to act as a 'set top box' as such, and receive and decode the digital TV we get in Australia, and send it to my Palsonic widescreen 100hz TV. This TV has XGA inputs, so I'm thinking I won't need to get a hefty video card with decent tvoutput (read ATI AIWs).

What I'd like to do is also pass all audio decoding to my digital receiver (which has or will have digital inputs).

So down to the question, is it 'better' to go for a motherboard with digital output audio onboard, such as the nforce2 boards, or go for a computer based audio decoder (audigy2/revolution etc) and output that as analogue sound to my receiver? We get 6 channel Dolby Digital sound for digital TV here in Aus according to the digital tv australia FAQ:

Quote:
Digital television will be transmitted with MPEG digital stereo sound and/or Dolby" Digital Sound (6 channels), thereby providing markedly superior audio services.
Thanks all :)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
revo

·
Registered
582 Posts
I use an AV Receiver with a digital input (or two or three) and let the receiver do the decoding. Though my receiver can input 5.1 as 6 analog inputs, I already have enough cables in the rat's nest.

As for the sound card, it needs to be capable of passing a DD5.1 (or DTS) audio stream (i.e. from a DVD). Personally, I think that having the PC decode 5.1 audio into 6 analog outputs is unnecessary.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Redlotus,

From what I've been reading the best solution would be a soundstorm nforce2 motherboard. Again, it all depends if you're willing to build a system from the ground up, and if you are Asus has some nice options. Also, check out the Coral Reef Adventure thread for more details about the nforce2.

Foti

·
Registered
332 Posts
try the TerraTec Aureon 7.1 space soundcard, it'll decode all the latest surround formats, and processes 24/192. I'd recommend a seperate soundcard over getting it integrated in the motherboard, so you can easily upgrade if a new surround format comes out.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The NForce2 is strongly recommended (read as "basically your only option") if you have a few specific needs:

-HTPC gaming is more than occasional

-Digital output is preferred

-You are planning on building a new system or already have an Athlon system

If you are looking for CD/DVDA/movie audio performance and don't really care about gaming, there are better choices than the NForce2, like the Revo or the TerraTec.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, I think I will go with the nforce2 solution.

I'm not at all worried about building machines from scratch, just wanted to grab the appropriate hardware.

I'll probably be grabbing the Abit nf7-s as it's on special at the moment.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by redlotus
Thanks all, I think I will go with the nforce2 solution.

I'm not at all worried about building machines from scratch, just wanted to grab the appropriate hardware.

I'll probably be grabbing the Abit nf7-s as it's on special at the moment.
I'm using the nf7-s in my main workstation right now. Very very stable mobo, I've put it through the rounds with no crashes or hangups yet. It's supposedly good for overclocking too, but I couldn't comment on that aspect of it. I don't think the benefits of overclocking are worth the time or effort, so I don't practice it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.