AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I read the thread about the HV10 mic input;. My question is a bit different. I have the HV20 and the Audio Technica AT 822 stereo mic. It has a cable with a big phono plug (stereo). Since that was too big, I went looking for an adaptor to mini plug. It works, but the sound came out in right channel only (headphones in the HV20 did not really reveal this as it came out on the headphones in mono I think. But the recording was clearly right channel.. then I figured out if I pull the mic plug a bit out of the adaptor OR twist it up it gets the full stereo on lisetnig to the recording. I wonder if there are many adaptors or if the fact that the original plug is big and heavy causes it to seit badly. I looked for a cable that terminates in a mini plug (stereo) but could not find one. I am in Japan.

Alternatively, I wonder how canon's mic that fits above the camera and uses the special connector is. The main purpose is both interviews and music.

Thanks.

PS

By the way, this is otherwise an excellent way of getting stereo into your MAC without buying a firewire adaptor. You can get the sound in eiether via the audio out (headphones) or the Firewire plug that carries the video also, and I don't think you even need to put the thing in record mode (I mean actual move the tape).

PPS

The AT 822 pics up from quite a distance with good sound quality.

It has a small switch at the top which I thinmk attenuates if put in the second position.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm using an AT897 with my HV20, via a XLR-to-mini adapter cable.

I think you should probably bring your rig into an audio/electronics shop. There's probably an adapter cable out there which perfectly will suit your needs. You might also try searching B&H.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have used an 822 into a JVC HD10 for several years. The mike also works well into a Zoom H4 audio recorder, so it would seem that something is strange about the Canon socket. The third position on the mike switch attenuates low frequencies to reduce wind noise.

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts