AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went "DVD slumming" today and browsed the DVD bargain bin at my local supermarket.:D

You'd be surprised at what you could find there. I picked up A Bright Shining Lie for $8 once. This time I walked away with The Sixth Sense for $15. Not bad. They also had Tigerland for $8 and Alien :eek:, unfortunately bundled with AVP: Alien Vs. Predator for an unmarked amount.

Then there were the endless piles of drek I had to sort through to get to those gems.

But I noticed they had a 2-disc collector's set of Pearl Harbour there for $15. I was intrigued, but something told me not to get it. I mean, 2 discs, major production, DTS sound, $15 CDN? But good thing I decided not to get it, it's positively brutalized on the IMDB! And Ben Affleck too, yuck.

However I remember hearing that it has a fantastic sound mix, and I'm a sound guy. And the inclusion of a DTS track usually indicates that the DVD producers have paid special attention to sound.

Is the soundtrack so good that it overcomes the movie's bad qualities? I'm thinking that watching this would be like talking to a beautiful woman with a horrid voice. Certain parts of my brain would love it, other parts would hate it and would try to fight the rest of my brain.:p

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I believe a wise man one wrote:

"I miss you more than Michael Bay missed the mark,

When he made Pearl Harbor.

I miss you more then that movie missed the point,

And that’s an awful lot girl.

And now, now you've gone away,

And all I'm trying to say,

Is Pearl Harbor sucked and I miss you

"I need you like Ben Affleck needs acting school,

He was terrible in that film.

I need you like Cuba Gooding needed a bigger part,

He's way better then Ben Affleck.

And now all I can think about is your smile,

And that ****** movie too,

Pearl Harbor sucked and I miss you

"Why does Michael Bay get to keep on making movies.

I guess Pearl Harbor sucked,

Just a little bit more then I miss you."

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh, heh...I guess the IMDB wasn't too far off the mark.

I remember reading comments in the audio forum here about how great the sound is, but I also remember critic's opinions at the time when it was released.:)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
It's a terrible movie. But the 45 minute bombing sequence in the middle is actually spectacular, and consequently that's where the best sound is as well (AVS user TheBland used to insist that the bombing of the Arizona is the ultimate subwoofer tester/killer). Skip the first hour or so, be amazed by the battle sequence, and then promptly turn it off so you don't have to see the insipid ending.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW The Sixth Sense DVD was pretty good.

The video was quite good - a fairly nice transfer. The audio was unusual and the effect they recreated with the audio could only be done with Dolby Digital/DTS. Nearly the entire movie had very quiet "atmospheric" music playing throughout, which rose to a crescendo in a couple of spots - the "stuttering Stanley" spot was the best (left a bass boom which reverberated my house for a few seconds).:)

Only with DD/DTS with its high dyanmic range and low noise floor could you get music that low. It's so low you think you're imagining it at times. And I was listening to it fairly loud - most DVDs would be playing back at between 75-80 dB at that volume setting.

It's not one of those "things flying around the room" discs, but it is impressive in that it takes advantage of the technology in a different way.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Alec Baldwin playing Doolittle. Good gawd.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod
Alec Baldwin playing Doolittle. Good gawd.
:)

I was expecting at least one dissenting opinion. None so far!

That's the thing with the bargain-bin movies at the grocery store. Either they are pure crap, or they haven't sold well.

The crap movies, well, they're crap. The ones that haven't sold well I take a look at. There are some overlooked gems there that may not be for mass-market consumption. For example, I once found Patton at a DVD store bargain section for $9 CDN! (I didn't include it in my "grocery store" finds because it was in a DVD store.:))

Patton, for cryin' out loud! Won 7 Oscars! #127 in the top 250 on the IMDB! I guess it doesn't compete with the golly-gee whizz-bang effect of the latest Hollywood blockbuster, but I'll take it any day.

The audio and video is THX mastered. It's easily the best remastered Dolby Digital mix I've ever heard.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I think the attack scenes are worth keeping the DVD around, but no way do I put this in for movie night. It shows off my 7.1 very well, esp with all the planes flying overhead.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm one of the few that actually liked the movie...one of my favorites the year it came out. I didn't like the changes in the directors cut though.

W

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt O
I'm one of the few that actually liked the movie...one of my favorites the year it came out. I didn't like the changes in the directors cut though.

W
Well I'll level with ya...I liked Waterworld :p so I know what it's like to be on that side of the camp.

Incidentally, Waterworld was also in the grocery store bin. I think it was $8.:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I actually liked this movie and enjoy watching it. It is not as serious as saving private ryan as world war 2 movies go but if you have not seen it I would recommend it but don't go into it thinking you are seeing a WW2 drama. It is more action film with love story fluff. I must admit that the 45 minute bombing of pearl harbor scene is reference quality sound and I use it to show off my sub and surrounds.

Danno

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
The truth is, I admit, that this is not at all a horrible movie. There have been far worse, and if you watch it, you won't be fidgeting the whole way. This movie, like others, is the victim of the dogpile.

History buffs just get really irked if you mix in a love story with subjects like Pearl Harbor or the Titanic.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've never understood what was supposed to be so "bad" about this movie. I can admit that it was no Saving Private Ryan or Schindler's List.... but it wasn't horrible.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'm in the camp with those who enjoyed this film. It was a love story, it was over the top and it was a great popcorn flick beautifully shot with excellent action sequences and special effects. It was everything it was intended to be. It was not intended to be a documentary nor 100% historically accurate. Plus, Kate, damn that woman is beautiful.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I enjoyed Pearl Harbor, and picked up the 4-Disc Vista Series Director's Cut, for better PQ and special features when it came out a few years ago. As for the movie I didn't care for the love triangle plot but the rest of the movie was pretty good but some things still get on my nerves like the name Raffe :confused: One of my favorite scenes was the launching of the B-25s off the USS Hornet. Awesome scene, for one they used real bombers not CGI. Michael Bay does have his moments (putting on flame suit)

Fraoch, the copy of 6th Sense you picked up was it the standard edition or the Vista Series? I have the stanard or "special edition" that was released first but I'm not to happy with the PQ on this one.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I guess that those of us that enjoyed this one will take the day here at the second half of this thread. The bombing sequence was staggering, and kind of struck me like the opening of SPR. Sure, some of the parts were over the top, but it is quite amazing to see the bravery and heroism of the men and women of WWII during some of the most intense and paralyzing events that one could imagine.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I dunno, I'm a "Chick" and this "Chick Flick" almost made me throw-up my lower intestines. I mean,,,,,, it was really really bad.

Ben Affleck - Yeech! Has to be the worst/overated actor today.

Alex Baldwin - As Doolittle, Please!

Michael Bay - "Please Stop The Insanity" enough already!

But,,,,,,,,,,,,, As mentioned, the 45 minute bombing sequence in the middle is (truly) spectacular.

Worth $15 for that alone, but thats it nothing else :p

Jessica ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.