AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm new to the forum. I am having an issue with my set-up. I have a 52" Samsung LCD (LN52A750) hooked up to a Samsung BD-P2500 Blu Ray Player via top end Monster HDMI Cables. I also have a Bose 321 GS III Surround hooked up to the TV via "common" HDMI cables. I then have a Motorola HD Dual Tuner DVR DCT6412 hooked up to the TV via "common" HDMI cables. Since the Bose Receiver only has one HDMI connection, I ran that to the TV. I then ran a fiber optic cable from the Bose Receiver to the Blu-Ray player to hear sound through Bose from the Blu Ray. Well, it kind of works... I hear the blu ray movie dialogue crystal clear unless I fast forward or rewind or the blu ray dvd is loading... Then I hear whatever is playing on my Motorola receiver. Is there any way to fix this annoying problem? Is it harmful to any components that it operates this way?

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Ok,

I'm going to try to help you. First I just want to make sure I understand what is going on. Your TV has three HDMI inputs and all are currently in use. To get surround sound from your BR player you have an optical cable connected to the 321. Is there any other audio connections to the 321? When you hear the other audio is your Motorola tuner on or off? Do you have any other audio connections to the TV other than HDMI? If you have a BR player and a Cable box why did you run an HDMI cable from the 321 to the TV? Isn't the 321 just performing surround sound duties? I'll try to help, but you might want to shut your cable box off that will surly stop the sound.

To answer your other question, it should not hurt any of your components for this to be happening. It is odd though but I'm sure there is a simple answer to the problem we just need to work at it.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. The TV has 4 HDMI inputs and I am using 3 of them. I do have the optical cable connected from the 321 to the BR. The only thing coming out of the 321 is the HDMI to the TV and the optical to the BR, as well as the speaker cables running to the satellite speakers. The "receiver" in the 321 is also an "up-converting" DVD player. That is why I connected it directly to the TV via HDMI. There are other audio connections via component cables available as I have my X-360 and Wii attached to two but there are 3 more. You are correct, shutting down the cable box eliminates the "bleed", and the sound is truly coming from the BR player. It is the weirdest thing though. The Bose will only play the BR via CAB/SAT output. I can't understand why, as the optical line is not designated only for that!

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Yup,

That is strange for sure. Admittedly I am not familiar with the 321 system but if there is not a connection between the cable box to the 321 other than the two separate HDMI cables I'm not sure how the sound is getting from one to the other because I'm not sure if HDMI is a two way or one way cable regarding your particular situation. I know that the two devices have to "talk" to one another to get the HDMI handshake but I'm not sure if that works for the audio part.

See if removing the HDMI cable from the 321 to the TV takes care of the problem. Your Samsung BR player is probably a better upconverter than the 321 anyway.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I started playing around with the receiver settings. I actually ended up going into the 321 set-up menu and there was a tab for media. I drilled down on the options and there was a sub-heading for fiber out. I clicked on it and it asked to define the component, which I did. The factory default was CAB/SAT. Now, it will work through the AUX channel through the receiver. Agreed that the Sammy BR is much better at up-converting DVDs than the Bose... but the Sammy speakers are absolute garbage! I know my TV came with a rear firing built in woofer, but it can't be any more than 2"! Bass sounds like it is coming out of a tin can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts