AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new LCD TV hooked to a Fios DVR via a single HDMI cable. The TV's audio is delayed about 250 to 500 ms.

So I ran the stereo analog out from the Fios DVR to my stereo receiver and it's sync'd perfectly with the video (and really shows how bad the TV's latency is!).

Could the TV really have audio processing significantly slower than it's video processing? It is a store brand (37" Dynex) that I'm testing -- I'm okay with the picture, but for me, the audio is broken. Thanks.

-Leon

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Normally the TV video processing takes longer than the audio processing and thus the audio occurs ahead of the video. Most A/V receivers have an adjustable audio delay to allow correction for this and sync the audio to the video.

Are you sure the audio is lagging the video with your TV rather than the other way around? Have you checked the TV settings to see if it has any adjustment for that?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, the audio is the one lagging. And I just checked the menus on the TV and didn't find anything.

I'm assuming the Fios STB is not trying to anticipate a video delay and therefore delaying the digital audio. That's a safe assumption, right??

Thanks again.

-Leon

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCampise /forum/post/15546339

I'm assuming the Fios STB is not trying to anticipate a video delay and therefore delaying the digital audio. That's a safe assumption, right??

Yes. The boxes just transmit the audio and video as they receive it. It would require significant extra circuitry to provide an audio delay and there's no reason for them to provide it since it's normally provided by the A/V receiver or the TV (if the TV audio system is used).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts