AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just getting started here. I'm looking to set up a network storage device on which to store all my audio files for eventual sharing across all computers, Home Theater and stereo. My general configuration is as follows:

1. I have a cable modem which comes in to house pretty much dead center.

2. Attached to cable modem is a wireless router which services entire house with internet.

3. All music has been ripped both in lossless format (FLAC) and MP3 or AAC for iPods. Both formats should reside on NAS device.

4. Home has multiple PCs and a MAC, so NAS device must be accessible to both platforms. Probably using iTunes on each computer as interface as we all have iPods

5. NAS device will also service home theater system in family room, stereo in den and speakers on outdoor deck. Am looking at both Sonos and new Slim Devices products as options.

Question: What NAS devices does everyone recommend? I am somewhat drawn to purchasing empty enclosures and supplying my own harddrives. I know NetGear has a NAS enclosure product, but it seems to get bad reviews on NewEgg and CDW. I've seen people write good things about D-Link's DNS-323, but don't know if it works in a mixed PC/Mac environment - much less whether it interfaces well with SONOS or SlimDevices. Do I need addtional network management software?

I'm sure many out there has faced this issue so am hoping there are lots of good suggestions out there. Thanks in advance. -Lloyd

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am new to this board and waited to see if anyone else would respond, but just to add my 2 cents. I own the DNS-323 and love it. I have a similar environment as you with multiple MAC's and PC's and the NAS supports them all with ease and is agnostic to the OS you are running. Although I dont own Sonos yet, I have done extensive research and many Sonos users utilize the 323. If you have a little technical skill you can do some interesting hacks on the 323 and expands its capabilities. Be sure to utilize the RAID configurations or at least have another location for backing up all your media...lessons learned!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts