AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new the forums as you can tell and I'm on the hunt for a receiver. Here's my current setup.

I bought a Samsung 5.1 home theater system about 2 years ago on black friday (back when I didn't know anything about audio). A couple weeks ago the receiver to the home theater setup died on me, leaving me just a set a speakers. I figured this would be a good opportunity to get a new receiver to go with the t.v. I plan on buying.

What I am hooking up to the receiver would be.

1. Computer (audio through an optical cable)

2. PS3 (audio through optical or HDMI)

3. T.V. (audio most likely through HDMI)

I know there are some receivers that can do video passthrough through HDMI which reduces the cluttering of wires and such and would make it much easier to install the components above.

My budget is $400, but I'd much rather prefer to keep it under $300 if possible. I'm looking for a receiver that will give me the best bang for my buck and has good reviews as well.

Thanks to all your help in advance!

-Michael

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

I would go with a B-Stock Onkyo TX-SR706. It retails for 899 Dollars and is available for 429 Dollars from Accessories4less: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-Black/1.html

You get THX Processing and Certification and Audyssey MultEQ. In addition, the 706 has preamp outputs for all channels should you want to add an outboard amplifier. Really has all the bases covered and offers flexibility should you decide to upgrade.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

The Yamaha would meet your needs. I do prefer Audyssey MultEQ over Yamaha proprietary Speaker EQ (YPAO). I also frequently use many of THX's Processing Modes. That being said, the Yamaha offers transcoding and does have preouts for all channels.

I am not sure how tight your budget is, but the Onkyo really offers a good bit more for not prohibitively more money.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
125 Posts
Take a look at some Harman/Kardon receivers. My suggestion comes only from experience with them. I don't think they're the best, but I think they're the best in their price range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac86 /forum/post/18180979

Take a look at some Harman/Kardon receivers. My suggestion comes only from experience with them. I don't think they're the best, but I think they're the best in their price range.

any in specific?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sorry, haven't looked around here in a few days. I have the AVR-247. The only complaint is no HDMI 1.3 so there can be issues with the new 7.1 blu-ray formats. As long as your BD player can decode these formats and output 7.1 LPCM, problem solved. I've also directly heard great response to the 254 and the 347. Decide what features are important to you and then compare. They go for wildly varying prices on the used market. I can't say on this thread how much, but I can say that I've seen used 247s sell for a range of over $250. (the most expensive one being over $250 more than the least expensive one)

H/K is more honest with their wattage ratings than a lot of other big box brands. They're my favorite under $1,500. I upgraded to seperates with 9.1, otherwise I would definitely still be using my 247. Total accidental fanboy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts