AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i'm a total audio newb, so i have no idea what to pick when it comes to recievers. I was looking at audioreview.com for reccommendations, but they are all massively inflated or deflated due to people who purposely ruin the ratings systems.

anyways, i need a reciever, this will the first component of the stereo system i'm going to be building up. At first i will just listen through it with my Sony MDRV-6 headphones. I would like to keep it at $300 dollars or under, if its possible to do this. I'm interested in Marantz, cause my parents have an old one that realy looks cool and sounds great, but they're prices seem a tad expensive compared to more mainstream brands. Can someone reccommend a good reciever for someone with what is likely a tin-ear and a small budget? Also, links to websites that carry good stuff at good prices and have a solid reputation would be nice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
BJ,

The best deal around now is the $499.00 Outlaw receiver at Outlaw.com. For less than this, check EBAY or Audiogon for a nice used Marantz or Yamaha unit. An older (1995) Marantz SR-96 can sometimes be found for less than $300.00.

Good luck, Michael

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Billy Jack,

Welcome to the HiFi. You have now embarked on a never ending quest to obtain musical Nirvana. You will experience joy, pleasure, and frustration at times, but you will have FUN. It's good to have you aboard!

I have a Harman/Kardon AVR70 about 3 years old that I'm looking sell for $200. It's in good condition. Works great. I just upgraded to separates so won't be needing a receiver anymore. This was right below the top of the line model 4 or 5 years ago. Has Dolby Prologic. No Dolby Digital. Great receiver for music and good movies. 80WPC in stereo and 70W to L,R, and Center channel and 25W to rears in surround mode. Has minor blemiish on the top rear of unit. Has preouts. Let me know if you're interested. email @ [email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.