AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved into a house where I don't have to worry about the neighbor complaining about hearing my speakers thump. I have never had a home audio/home theater set-up so I am almost completely lost when it comes to them. I am just a firefighter for Baltimore City so I don't have a ton of money to spend on my set up. However I do not want to end up regretting my purchase. I don't really listen to a lot of music so these speakers will mostly be used for watching movies and TV. I want the speakers to sound good at low levels just as much as high levels.

Anyway, I've done a little research and I would like to hear some opinions on the fallowing. Also, please feel free to recommend anything else you might think I will like more or that is going to sound better. My budget is about $700 and my home theater is 18x16. At this point, I have no idea which speakers will be powerful enough to fill the entire room.

1. http://www.amazon.com/Mirage-MX-5-1-...f=pd_cp_e_pw_3

2. http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-HD-500...pd_sim_sbs_e_5

3. http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/c...pid=1466&sc=61

4. http://www.digitalbuyer.com/jamo-a34...40-series.html

5. http://www.buy.com/prod/jamo-s426hcs...219607321.html

6. http://www.amazon.com/Jamo-S606HCS3-.../dp/B005FHM4LQ

7. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

8. http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/c...pid=1913&sc=69

The last two are HTIB. I know these aren't recommended but I feel they would give me a good base to start from. If you think I can get more from my money by buying the receiver separate than by all means. Please let me know.

9. http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/h...-dht-1312ba-fl

10. http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-893...4837634&sr=8-1

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I'd focus on getting two nice towers and a receiver and building it up from there as you go. If you don't want to regret a purchase, do it this way. You can even find a subwoofer on Craigslist to help with bass frequencies until you have more money to eventually add a sub, center channel, and rear speakers.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic /forum/post/20891121

I'd focus on getting two nice towers and a receiver and building it up from there as you go. If you don't want to regret a purchase, do it this way. You can even find a subwoofer on Craigslist to help with bass frequencies until you have more money to eventually add a sub, center channel, and rear speakers.

+1

I would look at something like these Bic PL89's to start, with a budget receiver like this $200 Pioneer . Then you can add a decent sub when funds allow, followed by matching center and surround speakers.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic /forum/post/20891121

That's exactly what I was thinking about until I read somewhere on these forums about certain speakers not sounding right with others. An example would be having two Polk towers and adding a Definitive Technology Center. Is this true?

Also, would starting out with just two towers and a sub sound good enough for movies until I get the extra money together?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/20891223

+1

I would look at something like these Bic PL89's to start, with a budget receiver like this $200 Pioneer . Then you can add a decent sub when funds allow, followed by matching center and surround speakers.

I like those speakers very much but the receiver is not something I want to upgrade in a couple years. I am looking for one that is 3D capable and is also capable of delaying the audio if need be. I wouldn't mind spending $300 on the receiver.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster /forum/post/20891241

I like those speakers very much but the receiver is not something I want to upgrade in a couple years. I am looking for one that is 3D capable and is also capable of delaying the audio if need be. I wouldn't mind spending $300 on the receiver.

So are you saying you have a $700 budget for speakers AND $300 for receiver? ($1000 total?)

Also, if you're worried about speakers not matching, get tower speakers that have a matching center available, then once you have more funds, you can purchase that center to add to the mix. For example, I have 2 Energy RC-10 bookshelf speakers as my mains, and have the matching RC center (Energy RC-LCR). Hope this helps

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster /forum/post/20891241

Denon AVR-1611
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-1611...4842184&sr=1-1

Jamo S606 HCS3 5.0 Speaker set is an amazing value for speakers
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it.../jamo-s606hcs3

They will leave you money for a subwoofer too

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Speaker systems like the Jamo and Polk might be nice if you're just looking to get speakers and a receiver, but if you're really wanting to start a home theater that you can build upon, I'd get speakers in each company that are a series above those.

Are you intending to build a really nice one you don't have to upgrade? Or do you want to sacrifice possibly getting better over time to have a full setup right now?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn guys. I really appreciate all of the input. I am a tech geek but I know absolutely nothing when it comes to home theater.

@whentrumpetsfade - I am seriously considering those Polks. Do you think Bookshelves will be enough to fill my room dimensions or should I go with floor standing speakers? Also, I can't find whether or not that receiver has 3D/HDMI pass through.

@crazyrob425 - I have read numerous reviews on those Jamo's and almost every single one say it's a steal for the price.

Now that a couple of people have mentioned it, I am leaning more towards buying each piece separate over time. I do want to start with some right and left towers. I have found two towers that are well in my price range. Let me know which one you know or think is better.

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-CF-30-F...4842227&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acousti...842227&sr=1-15

Lastly, I pieced together a 5.1 Energy system. Including these towers it will cost me around $900 with the SUB. The Jamo mentioned above (S 606) would cost about $650 with the SUB. Do you think I will notice enough of a difference to account for a $250 difference?

The Energy system will include the towers above, V MINI Center channel, CB5's for the surround and I will have about $250 left over for a SUB.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic /forum/post/20891459

Speaker systems like the Jamo and Polk might be nice if you're just looking to get speakers and a receiver, but if you're really wanting to start a home theater that you can build upon, I'd get speakers in each company that are a series above those.

Are you intending to build a really nice one you don't have to upgrade? Or do you want to sacrifice possibly getting better over time to have a full setup right now?

I would like to build and upgrade over time. Can you look at the Energy's below and let me know if I am skimping too much on my audio set up. I have never had a home theater before and I am far from a audiofile. I just want something that is going to give me a good surround and wall shaking bass along with good voice clarity. Please be honest with me and let me know if that Energy system will disappoint me.

To be honest with you, the most important aspect of me setup would be a system that would sound just as good at low levels as half of the content I watch will not be blaring in 5.1. I would probably just want to run the center channel alone or all 3 front speakers half of the time at low levels. I heard some speakers sound bad and aren't clear at low levels.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster /forum/post/20891484

Do you think I will notice enough of a difference to account for a $250 difference?

I really doubt it.

What subwoofer would you pair with the Jamo S606? Good bass comes from a good subwoofer so the Jamo S606 would allow you to get a serious subwoofer like the eD A2-300

Jamo is an amazing speaker speaker company that makes some amazing produts. The Jamo S606 in black use to be sold for $700-800 but since Klipsch bought Jamo and Energy Klipsch has been trying to liquidate those two.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:

@whentrumpetsfade - I am seriously considering those Polks. Do you think Bookshelves will be enough to fill my room dimensions or should I go with floor standing speakers? Also, I can't find whether or not that receiver has 3D/HDMI pass through.

Well i have a weakness for floor standers for fronts but if you have great bookshelf speakers and speaker stands that would be fine as well
Nah that AVR is an older model so no 3D/HDMI
The specs/rear view is all in the link i posted earlier ^^

·
Registered
2,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/20891548

I really doubt it.

What subwoofer would you pair with the Jamo S606? Good bass comes from a good subwoofer so the Jamo S606 would allow you to get a serious subwoofer like the eD A2-300

Jamo is an amazing speaker speaker company that makes some amazing produts. The Jamo S606 in black use to be sold for $700-800 but since Klipsch bought Jamo and Energy Klipsch has been trying to liquidate those two.

All of those three Jamo,Energy and Klipsch are owned by Audiovox.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

Quote:

Damn guys. I really appreciate all of the input. I am a tech geek but I know absolutely nothing when it comes to home theater.

@crazyrob425 - I have read numerous reviews on those Jamo's and almost every single one say it's a steal for the price.

Now that a couple of people have mentioned it, I am leaning more towards buying each piece separate over time. I do want to start with some right and left towers. I have found two towers that are well in my price range. Let me know which one you know or think is better.

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-CF-30-F...4842227&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acousti...842227&sr=1-15

Lastly, I pieced together a 5.1 Energy system. Including these towers it will cost me around $900 with the SUB. The Jamo mentioned above (S 606) would cost about $650 with the SUB. Do you think I will notice enough of a difference to account for a $250 difference?

The Energy system will include the towers above, V MINI Center channel, CB5's for the surround and I will have about $250 left over for a SUB.

You don't want any of those subs, stick with the internet direct companies like ED, HSU, etc... This is the most basic HT sub I would consider: ED A2-250 .

Also, that energy center isnt a match for those towers, you need the CC-10 . Not such a good deal anymore

I would stick with the Bics, and a budget receiver that has all the features you need, like this Yamaha . This would be the matching center , and these would be your surrounds .

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have the s606 towers with the higher end c80 center channel. I have some Polk rm6750 for rear surrounds in a 14x21 listening area that is open to another 350 sq/ft in my basement.

I know the 606 package is "entry level" in how what I would call more hardcore audiophiles on here would classify them, but man am I impressed with the quality of sound coming out of those towers. I can say I've auditioned the little surround speakers which throttle what I have now in the polks. The center didn't sound too bad to me in the store, but of reviews I've read the front towers are much better than the surrounds and center.

My jamo 606 towers are clear to my ears from low db up to about 103 as measured with my rat shack meter at my listening position about 12 ft away before I hear distortion.

It all depends on what your expectations are, your primary usage, and how soon upgraditis sets in.

I'm personally going to buy a s606 set in the next couple days to use the 2nd set of towers as surrounds as I've recently discovered 5 channel music and the rear polks suck for music, but work just fine for movies for me. Will use the surrounds in the set for some front height speakers and who knows what with the center channel.

I cannot say the Jamo's are better than any of the other packages you listed because I haven't heard them, but from where you are coming from you will most certainly enjoy them. It would be my best assumption that they would crush any other set you are looking at that don't have full towers up front. I feel that for my tastes they need a subwoofer for home theater viewing. I just don't know how a small satellite speaker with a 3" or 4" woofer and tweeter can compare with a full tower with a tweeter, 2 5" mids, and an 8" woofer.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster /forum/post/20891505

I would like to build and upgrade over time. Can you look at the Energy's below and let me know if I am skimping too much on my audio set up. I have never had a home theater before and I am far from a audiofile. I just want something that is going to give me a good surround and wall shaking bass along with good voice clarity. Please be honest with me and let me know if that Energy system will disappoint me.

To be honest with you, the most important aspect of me setup would be a system that would sound just as good at low levels as half of the content I watch will not be blaring in 5.1. I would probably just want to run the center channel alone or all 3 front speakers half of the time at low levels. I heard some speakers sound bad and aren't clear at low levels.

I've had most of the modern Energy speakers, and they're nice, but if you want to have really clear and beautiful sound at low levels, you'll want to get some of the Energy RC series speakers. They're discontinued so they're hard to find, but they're really nice. If you get the Energy speakers, go to vanns and input these promo codes: amexaudio, energy.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/promo

They won't stack (they did temporarily and prices were AMAZING) but each code will discount different Energy speakers. As said above you can get 2 CF-70 towers (they're quite nice) and if you get that, you can get the CC-10 (matching center speaker) for $200. So overall you're getting $1300 worth of speakers for $700. They're a bit bright, but if you're no audiophile, they're fantastic. Especially if they're in a large dedicated home theater room.

By the way, having the CF towers, V MINI Center channel, and the CB5's for the surround would sound a little bit odd. All three of those have different material/size woofers. If you want a matching set, get CF-70 ($250 each) towers, CC-10 center ($200), and CB-10 ($150/pair) or CB-20 ($200/pair). But no matter what you choose, I still think it'd be absolutely best to put it together piece by piece.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic /forum/post/20891878

I've had most of the modern Energy speakers, and they're nice, but if you want to have really clear and beautiful sound at low levels, you'll want to get some of the Energy RC series speakers. They're discontinued so they're hard to find, but they're really nice. If you get the Energy speakers, go to vanns and input these promo codes: amexaudio, energy.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/promo

They won't stack (they did temporarily and prices were AMAZING) but each code will discount different Energy speakers. As said above you can get 2 CF-70 towers (they're quite nice) and if you get that, you can get the CC-10 (matching center speaker) for $200. So overall you're getting $1300 worth of speakers for $700. They're a bit bright, but if you're no audiophile, they're fantastic. Especially if they're in a large dedicated home theater room.

By the way, having the CF towers, V MINI Center channel, and the CB5's for the surround would sound a little bit odd. All three of those have different material/size woofers. If you want a matching set, get CF-70 ($250 each) towers, CC-10 center ($200), and CB-10 ($150/pair) or CB-20 ($200/pair). But no matter what you choose, I still think it'd be absolutely best to put it together piece by piece.

I was looking at the cheaper CF-30's. The 70's are a little more than I want to spend. Do you think the 30's will fit my needs enough and fill my room nicely? My dedicated Home Theater is 18x16. Or would the Jamo 606 HCS 3's be a better choice considering they have a 8 side mounted sub?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.