·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All:

I apologize this is probably a very simple question. I have

my audio system set up in a such a way that I have audio output from my

Philips TV Model No 27-PT6441/37

I believe per the manual there is no way to adjust external volume on TV.

To a Sharper Image stereo (wall stereo).

I run a long RCA cable (the one with two separate cables red and white I believe this is correct).

I get good audio. However, some TV channels are quite quiet, and I have to raise the volume quite loud. When I do

this I get quite a bit of static.

Do you know if there is a:

(a) way to increase the volume on the TV directly (the volume up and down increases the actual volume but not output)?

(b) buy some kind of repeater type thing that will lead to better quality of signal?

The cable is pretty much in place now and not going anywhere. I believe it is gold tipped though.

Thank you

Misha

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue /forum/post/16938033

When you go into the audio menu for your TV, is there a way to set the audio to Fixed or Variable? You want Fixed output.

My audio menu only has treble, bass, balance, AVL, Incr Surround, SAP, and Sound (MONO) but none seem to actually control sound.

Here is copied and pasted from the manual. I think I have a headphone type jack too but from what I remember it did not make sound better.

MONITOR OUT(PUT) CONNECTIONS

The Audio/Video (Monitor) Output

jacks are great for recording with

a VCR or used to connect an external

audio system for better sound

reproduction.

AUDIO SYSTEM

CONNECTION:

1Connect one end of the

R(ight) and L(eft) AUDIO

(Monitor Out) jacks on the TV

to the R and L audio input jacks

on your amplifier or sound system.

Set the audio system’s volume

to a normal listening level.

2Turn the TV and audio system

ON. To adjust the volume

on the audio system, you will

need to change the volume at

the external audio system, not

the television

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a cable digital to audio converter as well. It says its model number is 2b40c120.

I tried hooking up audio to it directly (cable box -> stereo) maybe a little better. It seems only a problem for some channels (CNN headline news) that seem to go through quieter.

I would guess would need some kind of amplifier/repeater on TV side. Is there such a thing?

Misha

·
Registered
173 Posts
not sure what your source is but if it's from a cable box you may want to check the audio settings on box, most have options for normal, narrow, wide. try setting it to narrow to even out levels between channels.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thank you. I will check. It is a digital to analog cable converter actually. I don't think I saw a "narrow" setting (there is a setting for different video outputs).

My cables are already in place. Is there any other solution I can use besides a long RCA cable like either a

(i) repeater (is there such a thing and how much)

or

(ii) wireless solution?

Thank you

Misha

·
Registered
173 Posts
sorry i'm not familiar w/ your setup but if i had to guess, from your audio menu: AVL (auto vol level ?), Surround, SAP/mono would be your best bet. go to channel w/ low audio & change each of those settings & see if level changes. good luck...

·
Registered
3,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by misha680 /forum/post/16935429

Dear All:

I apologize this is probably a very simple question. I have

my audio system set up in a such a way that I have audio output from my

Philips TV Model No 27-PT6441/37

I believe per the manual there is no way to adjust external volume on TV.

To a Sharper Image stereo (wall stereo).

I run a long RCA cable (the one with two separate cables red and white I believe this is correct).

I get good audio. However, some TV channels are quite quiet, and I have to raise the volume quite loud. When I do

this I get quite a bit of static.

Do you know if there is a:

(a) way to increase the volume on the TV directly (the volume up and down increases the actual volume but not output)?

(b) buy some kind of repeater type thing that will lead to better quality of signal?

The cable is pretty much in place now and not going anywhere. I believe it is gold tipped though.

Thank you

Misha

I just read through the posts quickly, so I hope I didn't miss anything. Are you using a cable box?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
3,317 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 /forum/post/16945486

So, no audio out on the D to A converter? Audio out from cable box to audio in on the receiver?

There is an audio out on the cable box but I can't tell the difference plugging in directly to the cable box or on the monitor line on the Philips TV.

My stereo is a Sharper Image Sleek 3-CD Stereo.

In fact the buzzing happens with TV out or with output from my computer. It is a volume issue - when the volume is high I can hear it, otherwise not (volume on the stereo).

On the computer I can adjust line out volume. On the TV the volume for CNN headline news does not seem to go high enough. That is why I am thinking of a repeater.

Neither the D-to-A converter nor the TV seem to be able to allow me to get the volume on the line out loud enough to overcome the buzzing.

I am also willing to consider wireless options but the repeater/ground loop seem best so far (per my prior post).

What do you guys think?

Misha

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
From what you are describing, the problem is most likely the Sharper Image. Another thought, can you get a better digital cable box with digital outputs? Does the Sharper Image have a digital input? Do you have another stereo cable on hand to try out?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the explanation. Again it seems to work fine when the volume is not all the way up and when there is no line in cable plugged in the buzzing goes away.

What is a digital input exactly? The Sharper image has two RCA inputs...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ok, so you have noise issues. Noise can already be output by the source (cable box), or the cable might be picking up interference. Either way, when the signal level is sufficiently high, and its ratio to noise is high, noise can be fairly unnoticable. But if the signal itself is low, its ratio to noise is low, and cranking up volume also cranks up the volume of the noise.

The very first thing to do it to pinpoint the origin of the noise. If you use TV's own speakers, how do they sound? If you listen to the lower-volume channels, and crank up the TV volume, is the noise already present there? If the sound is noticeably cleaner of noise than at the stereo, then it is your cable picking up interference. Adding a signal booster right after the TV would help. If the noise is already fairly present at TV itself, adding a booster will only boost noise along with the signal. What you probably need is a noise filter .

·
Registered
3,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by misha680 /forum/post/16939917

I have a cable digital to audio converter as well. It says its model number is 2b40c120.

I tried hooking up audio to it directly (cable box -> stereo) maybe a little better. It seems only a problem for some channels (CNN headline news) that seem to go through quieter.

I would guess would need some kind of amplifier/repeater on TV side. Is there such a thing?

Misha

This is the way I would hook up the audio ^ from cable box to the Sharper...

What is the make of the "cable box"......you already gave us the model?

Perhaps we could see if it has a digital output. (it looks a little like a phone jack) For instance, using a digital optical connection would eliminate any cable noise.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 /forum/post/16948510

This is the way I would hook up the audio ^ from cable box to the Sharper...

What is the make of the "cable box"......you already gave us the model?

Perhaps we could see if it has a digital output. (it looks a little like a phone jack) For instance, using a digital optical connection would eliminate any cable noise.

Thanks. I will see when I get home. Its TV Max service in Houston, TX if that helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorrpio /forum/post/16949451

Is THIS your converter box?

Yes. Here is something that might actually help diagnose the problem. It is there even when the TV is off. Noticeably when the line I have hooked up from the computer is hooked up no noise, but when the TV line is hooked up even without the TV plugged in there is noise.

Ok in fact it is definitely the long cable... even when it is unplugged from the TV I still get the noise when it is plugged in the stereo. What do you guys think? Will the devices I posted help? Is a repeater better or a ground loop?

Thank you

Misha

1 - 20 of 32 Posts