AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my 30" hs sony crt, and it looks fantastic... but the audio out is garbage. I had planned on hooking my Wii and Dreamcast to the TV and have the audio out send one set of wires to my stereo receiver, but many of the sounds on the wii are clipping, especially louder high frequency sounds.

If I plug the Wii's audio cables directly into the reciever, it sounds great... but then my problem is that the picture goes all to crap. There is either some interference or a ground loop somewhere in the wii, as my ps2 did not have the problem.

So my question is, does anyone know how to clean up the signal from the sony's audio out? I imagine the problem is that the sony is compressing the signal somehow, or is maybe amplifying the signal too much to where the receiver can't handle the amplitude.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Does it have variable or fixed audio output? If it is variable that means it changes based on how loud the volume level is set on the TV itself. Try turning the TV volume down and the receiver volume higher. If the TV volume is high and you have variable output that could cause clipping.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, forgot to mention I tried all that. Whether the volume is down on the TV, or down on the receiver, or on fixed, the same thing happens.

I remember I had a passive video selector a long time ago that did the same thing. All the audio coming out of it was very poor, and high's were clipping bad.

The signal is just losing fidelity somehow. I hope there is not some form of compression going on, because I don't think there is any way to get around that, except maybe through the service menu.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.