AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do frequent this site at the Audio forums but this is my first post to this particular forum. I have DIY'ed several speakers and subs over the years and built a couple of Tube amps.

I currently have a 15 year old 27" Sharp CRT. Works fine except it is starting to develop two separate contrasts/brightness areas. The bottom half is brighter than the top half. I've tried a few adjustments but nothing makes it go away. I fear it may someday soon give up the ghost.

I recently sold some property and have some cash. So I am thinking of getting a new LCD about 32".

What I would like to do is make my own speakers for the TV. I have a plate amp from Part Express (MCA2550D) which I got on sale. I am thinking of using a LAT 250 and some buyout Peerless speakers that are a good price on buyout. This Amp has an auto on feature so it would power up and down with the TV.

I've looked at a few TVs on line and some have an Audio out and some don't. I would want one that cut out the TV speakers but would have the volume control still function.

The amp has a volume control but won't be very convenient to use.

So what feature am I looking for? Would this be a headphone jack? Some have audio out RCA jacks but I'm not sure if they are connected to Volume controls or if they disconnect the TV speakers.

Any advise welcome. Specific models and brands would be great.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSTECH /forum/post/18216416

I do frequent this site at the Audio forums but this is my first post to this particular forum. I have DIY'ed several speakers and subs over the years and built a couple of Tube amps.

I currently have a 15 year old 27" Sharp CRT. Works fine except it is starting to develop two separate contrasts/brightness areas. The bottom half is brighter than the top half. I've tried a few adjustments but nothing makes it go away. I fear it may someday soon give up the ghost.

I recently sold some property and have some cash. So I am thinking of getting a new LCD about 32".

What I would like to do is make my own speakers for the TV. I have a plate amp from Part Express (MCA2550D) which I got on sale. I am thinking of using a LAT 250 and some buyout Peerless speakers that are a good price on buyout. This Amp has an auto on feature so it would power up and down with the TV.

I've looked at a few TVs on line and some have an Audio out and some don't. I would want one that cut out the TV speakers but would have the volume control still function.

The amp has a volume control but won't be very convenient to use.

So what feature am I looking for? Would this be a headphone jack? Some have audio out RCA jacks but I'm not sure if they are connected to Volume controls or if they disconnect the TV speakers.

Any advise welcome. Specific models and brands would be great.

You could use headphone jack that will cut-out both original (in-built) speakers. The signal at this point (after in-built digital amplifier, to be fed to external amp) would be slightly noisier compared to signal present at D/A output on AV board.

Almost all TV’s have headphones socket on the side / back. Use this as your source (but keep in mind that this signal is also after the digital amp, just sent thru large power resistor to cut the supplied current to headphones – so it is still a bit noisier compared to D/A output). Remote control will most likely give you the option to disable in-built speakers while still providing ability to control the volume (my Sharp does).

The best solution would be to make a box and install a DAC, volume control pot, and external amplifier. Feed the signal from the back of the TV – from the S\\PDIF socket. You’ll be bypassing D/A and digital amplifier on AV board. However, setting the volume level could be slightly inconvenient, but you could get wireless remote controllers (some even have relays and discreet steps, so no noise at all from volume pot graphite / wiper). But this is what external AV amplifiers do, so it really depends on what exactly you are trying to achieve. You could achieve very high audio quality with external DIY box, cutting the signal path to min. – again, depending on what exactly you want to achieve regarding audio quality.

Boky

1 - 2 of 2 Posts