AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am eventually going to upgrade my old DVD/CD player with a new Blu-ray player. I'll use it for both audio CDs, regular DVDs, and Blu-Ray.

For audio, I currently have my DVD player hooked up by digital coax straight into the receiver, there's IR available on both. But I already had the digital coax. Video is using component cables.

Anyways, lots of Blu-Ray and DVD players advertise "great" DACs. Question, so if I am using the coax or fiber digital audio out, isn't that basically just skipping the DAC in the player completely? Using the one in my receiver instead? Or am I missing something. If I were to use the internal DAC in the blu-ray player, what outputs are used?

I've always figured there would be less "noise" going pure digital until I hit the receiver. Seem's like a bad step to first convert it to analog, and then run that analog signal to the receiver.

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matobinder /forum/post/16977168

So I am eventually going to upgrade my old DVD/CD player with a new Blu-ray player. I'll use it for both audio CDs, regular DVDs, and Blu-Ray.

For audio, I currently have my DVD player hooked up by digital coax straight into the receiver, there's IR available on both. But I already had the digital coax. Video is using component cables.

Anyways, lots of Blu-Ray and DVD players advertise "great" DACs. Question, so if I am using the coax or fiber digital audio out, isn't that basically just skipping the DAC in the player completely? Using the one in my receiver instead? Or am I missing something. If I were to use the internal DAC in the blu-ray player, what outputs are used?

I've always figured there would be less "noise" going pure digital until I hit the receiver. Seem's like a bad step to first convert it to analog, and then run that analog signal to the receiver.

I've seen some universal players touting their DACs, but you're basically right, this is useless for S/PDIF or digital coax output. If you are playing DVD-Audio and Super Audio CDs, that's different. Some folks that want to hear the HD audio on blu-rays also need multichannel analog outputs if their receivers don't accept multichannel PCM over HDMI.

You need to decide if you want lossless blu-ray audio. If so, and your reciever can't handle multichannel PCM, then you need to find a blu-ray player with DACs. Almost all new receivers these days can internally decode the HD audio tracks. If this is what you have, your blu-ray player is primarily going to be a transport. No need to overspend.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts