AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a wirelss LAN in my house. (802.11b)

I've got plenty of amplifiers in the house (we never throw anything away if it works) and plenty of speakers to go with the amps.

Goal 1: create a "whole house" audio playback system.

Goal 2: Avoid running wires between rooms and floors.

Is there a TCP/IP based product on the market to fit this application?

Is there a wireless distribution system on the market that is not TCP/IP that would work as well? (maybe 2.4Ghz band)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I'm not aware of any on the market yet that will let you really control this and use your own amps. There are individual MP-3 decoders if you want to stream MP-3 files and don't care if you can't play the same thing in every room (or don't care if they are horribly out of sync).

But then you need another solution for the rest of your sources

Hang on a few months....

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I haven't seen anything that will do exactly what you are looking for, but wish I could create it. I imagine it would be/will be a big money maker for someone.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buzz. saw the info on Netstreams.. looks promising.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Humm take a gander down in the Audio Servers section. There are lots of different ways to do this right now.

It all depends on the amount of money that you want to spend, how you want to control the songs, what type of device you are willing to hook up, and if you want the same or different songs playing in all sections. I personally use the Linksys Wireless Media Adapter, wireless notebooks, and wireless desktop pc's to access the songs stored on my media server.

EDIT need to add that most of these solutions are Windows or MAC based. If you are asking for UNIX (from your TCP/IP statement) then there are fewer out of the box solutions. These solutions are also only meant for streaming MP3 files. If this is not what you want to do then sometihng like wireless Netstream would be what you want.

Laters,

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a TiVo with Home Media Option.

I run the internet signal into my server, which runs through a ShoutCast server to broadcast over a private network. Then the TiVo picks it up. From there the TiVo runs out to my other rooms and I have internet radio throughout the house.

I tried the LinkSys WMA11B but that only allows MP3s to play, not stream internet audio.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.