AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble getting audio on non DSS channels on my HD receiver. Here's my setup:

Sat signal in via Sat in Jack

Normal cable (no cable box) in via RF in jack.

Video out via RGB (component cables) to projector

Audio out via Digital optical to receiver.

When I'm watching a DSS channel, audio is fine. When I switch to a cable channel, video but no audio.

Does the receiver not take the audio from the cable signal and pass it out the the optical port? Do I have to hook up the right and left standard audio outputs to my receiver also? If this is true, I'll have to change audio sources everytime I change between a sat channel and a cable channel.

------------------

Steve

Visit our dedicated home theater, The City Cinema.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
You need to run analog audio cables as well as the digital cable. The HDS20 cannot/does not pass audio from the NTSC channels through the digital output.

Gary

·
Registered
459 Posts
This is a serious problem with my setup. There is no way for me to have my preamp autoselect between the two formats. Has anyone resolved this issue?

Sean

·
Registered
395 Posts
I solve this by using a programmable remote and essentially use the STB commands for the OTA/Cable mode but direct the receiver to output the analog audio signal. For Satellite stations, it uses the STB commands with the digital audio signal. It's not completely seamless as I have to switch between TV and Satellite mode on the remote, but it's not a big deal typically.

The other solution that is seamless, but far less desirable from my perspective is to output all channels satellite and OTA/cable in the analog mode (which the STB will do for satellite channels, just not NTSC through digital). It's seamless, but who wants to listen to digital channels in analog mode?

Good Luck,

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.