AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, and thanks in advance for helping to clarify some issues for me.

I plan to build a HTPC for both better DVD playback than my current system, and OTA HD viewing/recording.

My system currently:

Toshiba 50HX81 (component video input)

Denon AVR-4802 receiver

Toshiba SD-5109 DVD player

Dish HD6000 HDTV satellite/OTA receiver

I think I have a clear understanding of the video requirements and a need for conversion to component for input of my set, but I am confused about audio output. I currently feed from DVD to receiver via coax digital, and from the HD6000 via Toslink. Will I be better off continuing to let my receiver do all the audio work for DD5.1+ and DTS, DTS-ES, matrix, 6.1, etc. or are there better capabilities built in to the cards I have been reading about, specifically M-Audio? Are there digital output connections from M-Audio cards that will work with Toslink or coax? Is M-Audio overkill if I am simply passing through all audio signals to the receiver? I am also considering nForce motherboard/chipset with onboard sound - would this be a better option for passing through?

I am sure these questions have been asked, and I apologize for the repeat, but I had difficulty searching and finding the correct answers. Any links, comments, tips, hardware/software suggestions, etc. for someone just getting started on HTPC would be most appreciated (the PC part is not a problem - I've been building them for years). I want to build one with the best that is available for both audio and video performance, and price is not a factor.

Once again, thanks much for any help you wish to give!

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Since you already have a receiver, I'd continue to let it do the audio work. Easier to set up htpc that way.

Also, I'm not sure how you'll decode the Dolby Digiital and Pro Logic signals from your DISH receiver in real time through your HTPC. I would think there would be a way, but I haven't seen any software that does this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.