Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am having a problem and hope someone out there can help. Per the attached you can see that the TV is on the other side of the door and the audio rack. How should I run the following cables from the audio rack to the TV, 12ga speaker, component, svid? Also the wall the TV is on is an 8" thick CMU wall, I would hate to have to drill through it. I was thinking some type of door threshold, but I cannot find one that will work.

Also I have a Monster Cable Power center that I would like to use for the TV, again that is on the audio rack and the TV cord is to short.

Thanks

Cjs

·
Registered
52 Posts
Where does your right channel go ? Can the rack be moved to the stair side ? Is there access under the stairs ? Whats at the back of the room ? Also if you cant move anything around you can get stick on plastic square channel with a clip on cover in various widths etc that electricians use to route cables in houses that don't want to have new wires chased in walls. You could paint this the same as the door frame and run it tight around the frame so you wouldnt notice it and then along the bottom of the wall a little bit and end it behind the TV so you cant see the cables at all.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
CJ, is there any way to turn the room around, so the view you show becomes the rear?

Brett, it appears that the speaker between the TV and the door IS the right speaker.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Yikes, is there any room to move the Right Main to the right of the tv? Maybe slide the tv over to the left a bit and then have your fronts almost in front of the tv to the left and right? I would be worried about knocking over those when you go to that door, though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys, the TV was delivered yesterday and I was like a kid in a candy store. The right and left main speaker will be next to the TV, the center will sit on top and the sub is in the back coner. (No worries) The more I think about this, I should just drill through the CMU and run a new pipe chase. (big time pane).

If so what size pvc should I use. Also how could I get the power cord from the tv back to the audio rack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys, the TV was delivered yesterday and I was like a kid in a candy store. The right and left main speaker will be next to the TV, the center will sit on top and the sub is in the back coner. (No worries) The more I think about this, I should just drill through the CMU and run a new pipe chase. (big time pane).

If so what size pvc should I use. Also how could I get the power cord from the tv back to the audio rack.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What is through that door? is it a store room ? Any chance of a quick schematic diagram of the basement so we can maybe give you some ideas of what to do and where ?

·
Registered
766 Posts
First off, are the speakers going "right next" to the TV? Are those shielded speakers? Do they distort the TV picture at all? You might want to try it.

If I were you, I would ditch the rack you got and move the toys above the TV to somewhere else. Then I would get or make nice sturdy shelves above the TV for the AV stuff. You could even build a shield so the wires are hidden as they drop down from the AV stuff. I don't know how sturdy a platform the top of the TV provides, you maybe you can even place the VCR and DVD player on top of the TV for easy access. The rest of the stuff you don't really need to touch, right?

My other questions is, do you have rear speakers? If so, how do you get the wires to those?

HTH

- Hal

·
Registered
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nobail
If I were you, I would ditch the rack you got and move the toys above the TV to somewhere else. Then I would get or make nice sturdy shelves above the TV for the AV stuff.
The rack above the TV might be to high to put a DVD in unless you climb the stairs. ;)

Another good idea might be to put a rack infront of the TV.

Since you are not going to use the speakers from the TV, but pipe them through the reciever, there is no worry about blocking the front of the TV in this case.

A under TV stand might work good. Of course you are not going to put the TV on top of it but maybe DVD's.

One thing to keep in mind is the blinking lights distracting you from the TV.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Also, I should not have called the objects "Toys" above the TV, but instead referred to them as "Models". I don't want to offend anyone. :)

If I could go really crazy, I would recess the TV in the utility room that is behind it. That look has high WAF and I love tearing down walls.

- Hal

·
Registered
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nobail
If I could go really crazy, I would recess the TV in the utility room that is behind it. That look has high WAF and I love tearing down walls.
That might be the easiest too!!

That way you will have more space in the room and wont have to worry about any one falling down the stairs and accidentally "kicking" the TV over.

If you have kids they love to slide down the stairs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think your biggest problem is the fact that it is snowing in your HT room!! j/k - those flare dots in the image are probably the flash reflecting through dust on the lens.

Seriously though, without seeing a floor plan of this room, I would probably move the TV to the leftmost wall in the picture (beside the av rack). Then move the seating against the stairs. This would also provide a comfy landing for all those kids sliding down your stairs! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.