AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I sat down to watch the Simpson and was annoyed to find that the audio was recorded ~8 seconds late. This isn't a playback problem, other streams playback just fine. It also recorded the season finale of X-Files (I haven't watched it all season, but I thought I check out the last episode) and it also has the audio recorded ~8 seconds late.

From looking at the syslogs (ethereal is your friend), it seems that the problem may have been triggered by a manual record that I did this morning. I was copying an old laser disc for a friend and I set the record for 1:20, but the disc ended in :58 and the LD player powered off after being idle for a few minutes. This caused the a 'lost video' event followed by a long stream of 'Retriggering' events. Everything that was recorded after this happened the audio 8 seconds late.

Weird failure mode... I would have thought that all the buffers and fifos would be flushed when recording starts and errors like this would not cascade.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I started a second manual record of the second LD (it's one of those CAV boxed sets) and managed to reproduce the problem (I wasn't trying to). After the manual recording ended, it started to record a 'Junkyard Wars' episode and the audio was about 8 seconds out of sync. If I could find the remote for the LD player, I might be able to turn off the 'auto-off' feature... Grrr!

·
Registered
348 Posts
This happens to me also but for me is seems to have something to do with bypass mode. Sometimes when I switch back to DVR from Bypass the audio will be out of sync. I did start a thread on this a while back.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=135786

When this happens I turn off my input source ( in my case DirectTV receiver) and wait until I get the no video source blue screen and then I turn it back on. This seems to work a reboot is not necessary.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jimre
Does the problem go away when you re-boot the Replay?
A hard reset (hold down the power button) fixed the problem. But the streams that were recorded are permanently out of sync...

What I'd really like to understand is where the 8 seconds o buffering would come from. I'd imagine it is post compression, because 8s @ 44.1KHz is ~1.3M which is a large fraction of the free memory on the 4K. Maybe it could be some sort of systems error (like bad DTS/PTS time stamps) but 8 seconds seems way too long...

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've seen this problem on my 4040 when the satelite receiver turned off and back on. The solution I found was to unplug the SVIDEO IN (or composite, I suppose, if you are using it) for a few seconds and plug it back in.

·
Registered
702 Posts
You might suggest writing up your findings and sending it to replay. They may not monitor everything here (but their lawyers probably do...)

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
This happens to me constantly and the only thing that fixes it is a complete re-boot :(

The trigger is periodic drop-outs on my Directv sat. But the same thing happens on my Tivo with no audio synch problems so that is no excuse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.