AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure of what the component I need is called, but hopefully someone can help me with what I need to get based on my description...

I've got a jukebox that plays music that seems to be recorded at varying output levels. When one song comes on it is at the expected output level but other subsequent songs will either be to soft or to loud.

Is there a component that I can put between the jukebox and amplifier that will "regulate" the output noise level before going into the amplifier, so all songs will be output at the same level?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
You can get a line-level compressor/limiter from someplace like Sweetwater Sound. You might first check and see if your AVR already has some sort of volume compensation, like Audyssey's dynamic volume or the various commercial/night modes many AVRs include.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
What is this "jukebox" ? I would agree that a compressor would be an option. But there are ways to equalize overall level of music. For example, if all the files were MP3 files, there are ways to equalize average level.

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
^^^ Good point. I assumed a CD (or LP, whatever -- "physical" media) jukebox. If it is playing MP3 files there are software utilities you can use to re-master the songs and level the volume.

·
Registered
588 Posts
A compressor will make the louder things quieter, kinda. What you need is something called an AGC. Automatic Gain Control. For a hardware solution there's really only one item i've ever used that works, somewhat cheaply. Aphex Compellor 320. It does leveling and compression at the same time, it'll bring the quiet stuff up, and keep the loud stuff down at the same time.

The only other thing that i know of hardware wise that has this is radio/tv processors for many many thousands of dollars (3-15k).

If it's MP3, you can "normalize" all your MP3's in software like Audacity or Adobe Audition. But that's work. I use a piece of software called "stereo tool". It's a software version of the many thousands of dollars piece of hardware that radio/tv stations use. (not really though, the hardware is done all in DSP at low latency, the software is obviously done in software so it has inherent latency) This software is a DSP plugin for winamp or a standalone that uses the line-in on your computer.

Very handy software if you're trying to "level" things out.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
If a compressor limiter's threshold is set low enough, can't it even out music pretty effectively to the same level? I have not tried one expect for FX on my old synthesizer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.