AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a short diary of my audio server setup experience.

I just completed setting up a computer as our audio server. It will be located in our audio closet. At the moment the preamp is a 20 year old Amber analog and the amp is a 20 year old 600 watt per channel Carver 1.5 T. The 25 year old B&W 801s are in another room with the 20’ speaker wires laid under our wood floor.

I used a Silverstone LM 17 for the case. It will fit in my rack very nicely. I used their Zeus 550 power supply. I put an older ASUS P4T-E motherboard with a 2 gig Intel 478 P4 CPU. I am using a Buffalo Tech PCI 54 for wireless. Their latest driver installs the wireless as a service prior to boot. This makes it possible to use the computer with out a mouse, keyboard, or display after loading the CDs. Every time the computer is turned back on it will let you log in remotely using XPs pros remote desktop function. I have a Lynx Pro One card for the sound output. I will use our Dell laptop as a remote to play the music in our listening room. This will also work in our bedroom to stream music as well. It is not clear that 802.g will be fast enough to use this as a video server. However TT 2.1 does seem to read ts files fine over our wireless system.

I currently have 2 IDE drives-Seagate 100gig for boot and Maxtor 300 gig for CD data that I took from other older systems. I intend to install a SGII SATA PCI board to go with 2 500 gig Hitachi Sata drives. One of these will be stored in another place for safe keeping as a backup. This will give me enough for the CDs and at least one back up. I am using an older Plextor RW CD drive to rip the CDs. I have about 2000 of them. I am using Windows Media 10 with WMA lossless. It takes about 3-5 minutes per CD and each CD is about 250-350 mb.

Ripping is tedious but ok. WM 10 makes it somewhat easy and the wireless connection via my home network makes the CD ID a breeze.

The installation of the motherboard, drives, etc took a while. There is no documentation for the Zeus but the Silverstone case documentation was fine. Everything is somewhat cramped and Silverstone’s cooling system requires that everything be closed. I ran the case for a while open and the memory got hot. With the case closed, the ventilation works as it supposed to and all is all.

Digital Connection was great as well. I bought the case and power supply from them and Silverstone shipped the case separately. They inadvertently sent it ground. I had paid for 3 day. I had this weekend to set the system up and ground would have meant the case was coming on Monday. Digital Connection worked with me and Silverstone to get me a case on Friday. So all worked out.

Joel

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.