AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a question about audio input. I have a pair of active Linn Kaber speakers. I would like to drive them with my emotiva mmc-1 preamp and emotiva mps-2 7 channel amp. I would like to use 6 ( 3 per speaker ) of the channels to drive my speakers. How do I input the signal from the preamp to the amp when all I have to choose from is 1 front left and 1 front right. That is only enough to drive one horn on each side. Can you use the center and surround outputs, and even if I can thats only 5, and won't it send different signals? I would appreciate any help.

Thank you!

John

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If you really have active speakers (these are rare) then you will need an active crossover - this is mentioned in the owners manual. The active crossover will have different outputs to drive each amp. There are advantages to active crossovers but this is very difficult to setup correctly.

http://www.lotus340r.net/manuals/linn/kaber_user_manual.pdf

If your speakers have the standard passive crossover network and you want to passively tri-amp them as mentioned in the manual, you just need to split the R and L signals from the preamp into three signals and drive three amp channels with each side and connect those amp channels to the passive crossovers on the speakers - just be aware that there is little to no benefit in doing this.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These have the active crossover
IMG_0268.JPG 1854k .JPG file

I read the owners manual and does not give me any new info on how to triamp them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
A true active crossover (2 channel stereo) will have a low level input for each channel (RCA/XLR for right and left) and a RCA/XLR low level output for each frequency limited band on each channel. This would require terminals on the back of the speakers that connect directly to the drivers WITHOUT a passive crossover in the circuit. I've never seen speakers like this but that doesn't mean that some company couldn't make them that way. The problem is that the drivers are completely unprotected from the wrong frequencies - if you connect the bass amplifier to the tweeter input - bang! - it will be fried. Connect as follows:
  • The RCA/XLR output from your Preamp to the RCA/XLR input on your crossover
  • The RCA/XLR output of each frequency limited output (high/mid/low) to a separate amplifier RCA/XLR input
  • The amplifier output terminals of each frequency limited output to the CORRECT driver input on the back of each speaker.

I really doubt that you have this type of setup. If you don't have these connections then you could probably take some photos or find links on the web that show exactly what you DO HAVE so that someone can help you. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
generally speaking, "active" speakers are called "active" because they have amplifiers built into them. Unless Linn is using the term unusually (certainly a possibility) they have internal crossovers that feed however many amps are built into them. To use separate amps would require you to bypass the amps, which is unlikely to be possible without taking the speakers apart and rewiring them . . . and seems to defeat the purpose of having active speakers.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
That doesn't make any sense at all. You are trying to create a real mess. Don't go there.

The signals from the other channels are different signals, and that won't work properly with a single set of speakers. That would be garbage.

Those are NOT active speakers. They have no power amplifiers or active crossovers.

An active crossover, if one were to be used, would be installed between the processor and power amplifier, but to do that you would have to internally modify the speakers first to avoid conflicts between the active crossover and the existing speaker crossover networks. Don't even think about it!

Just use the two front channels of the processor and power amplifier to drive the two speaker systems.

If you want to tri-wire, you will need three sets of wires going from each of the front power amplifier output terminals to the three inputs on each speakers.

For the center channel and rear channels you will need additional speakers, which will be driven by the other amplifier channels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts